Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
First words out of my mouth when I go into a new bank are normally "Do I need an account to buy some coins?" Or if they have a coin counter, its asking about the fees. More often then not, you need an account to do anything or you are seriously paying out through the nose in fees.

Sincerely, Garoulady

giniro

Jan 14, 2013
Columbus, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience so far with regards to halves and large dollar coins at least. I ask for them and they say "Yes we've got X amount, do you have an account?" I say "No, sorry I don't." They usually say "I'm not supposed to give out coin to non customers but since I want to get rid of these it's ok." 9 times out of 10 that's what happens to me, but of course I have been denied $1 in halves since I didn't have an account(they were clad anyway). It's kind of hit or miss but you don't risk anything asking for them, if they deny you it's not a big deal. Though it would be upsetting if they pull out some serious good stuff then deny you. I'd probably be persuaded to open an account if they showed me morgan dollars or something then told me I had to have an account to get them.
Edit: Oh also I think it's better to just ask for coin, no need to point out to them you don't have an account since even if they have the requirement they may just assume you have one.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It never hurts to ask. Halves and "big dollar" coins are generally a nuisance to tellers. Most of the time the teller never asks if I have an account or not. Even when its against bank policy to do so, I can usually persuade the head teller/branch manager to sell them to me at banks at which I do not have an account on the promise that I will take all of them and not bring them back. I've probably been to over 1000 different banks during all of my CRHing activities over the years, most of which I did not have an account. Only 2-3 times was I unable to purchase halves/big dollars because of not having an account.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I go into any bank I see, I have never been asked if I have an account, nor been denied any halves or big dollars for not having one, I even have 2 banks that I am not a member of that saves me anything out of the ordinary that they get in, because I stop by once a week and chat it up with them and am very nice in general. You won't find it if you don't ask for it. HH, Maverick.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Confidence helps when talking to random banks, stroll in like you have been there before, don't act nervous, just act like your a normal everyday customer, but nicer =)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread