What's new

Creek Bed Gravel and Ridge Tops

TnTom

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
37
Reaction score
20
Golden Thread
0
Location
Woodbury Tn
Detector(s) used
don't have one yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in my neck of the woods about 50 miles south of Nashville the CW battle fields and skirmish lands are plentiful. I once ran into a couple of gentlemen following civil war trail maps that brought them to my property and asked permission to to continue on to where an Confederate lookout post was reported. I gladly said (they were not MD'ing just hiking) go for it and wished I had accompanied them as I never did find out how the trail ran or where the outpost was at but I gathered they headed to the ridge top and now can imagine what may have or is still is waiting to be discovered.

Let me add Im not an active metal detectorist (I learned that word here since I discovered this site a few days ago and got my adrenaline aflowin) but am zeroing in on units under $300 maybe the Ace 250 or Tesoro Compadre, soon to be decided.

Well I have both creeks and ridges where I live and while recovering gravel after heavy rains (I use a homemade screening rig to play) I have a canon ball and numerous rifle cartridges and many mule and horse shoes spoons, knives etc no coins yet , . This was done just shoveling gravel into my screens, washing, and picking thru. Its concentrated in a large pool that usually holds about 2 ft deep and the gravel piles conveniently.

If I want to wade these creeks up aand down stream mostly bedrock searching gravel gatherings in average about 6" deep clear water. this gravel is coming from soil breakdown and usually fresh and clean.

Can I submerse the coil using an Ace 250 or the Compadre to check out the beds? This is getting long winded sorry. I also know of old (as reported) slave and share cropper cabins on the ridge top that have remained undisturbed. I am getting all excited now sleepless with anticipation and anxiety it setting in.

Will the 2 units mentioned serve as acceptable for both the creeks and ridge cabins surrounding? I cant handle the cost of multiple units, maybe just coil changes to get as deep as the units are capable of?
 
First, let me qualify the following by pointing out that I'm still learning this hobby.

I believe the Ace 250 has the same coil as my 350, and the coils are submersible. Just don't let the display get wet. Check your local Craigslist for detectors. My 350 was near new an I got it for $225 with some extra digging tools and pouches. As a newb myself, I'd say it is a decent starter set. I also bought a Garrett THD for $40 off e-bay as a cheaper alternative to the pinpointer. While it doesn't beep, it is confirmed waterproof, as I submerged it several times this weekend. It does a pretty darned good job of reducing recovery time, without breaking the bank.

Sounds like you've got a lot of fun in your future.
 
Last edited:
The ace250 and ace350 both have water proof coils but the ace350 is a dd coil compared to ace250 with a concentric ...if you can try to get the at pro
 
Tom, a friend bought a 350, a few weeks ago, and is well pleased with it. He got a new detector, pouch, digger, and headphones for 270 dollars. Get a detector and get out there and dig all that history up. I've been hunting CW relics for about 35 years now. Matter of fact I'm going tomorrow. Have fun and happy hunting. Retired too. Loving it.
 
Don't waste ur money on an ace250
 
Tom, a friend bought a 350, a few weeks ago, and is well pleased with it. He got a new detector, pouch, digger, and headphones for 270 dollars. Get a detector and get out there and dig all that history up. I've been hunting CW relics for about 35 years now. Matter of fact I'm going tomorrow. Have fun and happy hunting. Retired too. Loving it.

Where'd he find that for that price? It seems all of Garrett's products are MAP priced. Seems to me that everybody sells it for the same price. Correct me if I'm wrong here?
 
Most detectors can have their coils submersed, but the electronics portion is not waterproof and you risk permanent damage if it gets wet. I would consider a good submersible detector like the Tiger Shark or an AT Pro. You would need to buy used to meet your price range, but still a better route to go for the kind of hunting you would like to do.
 
I agree w SusanMN! Save up a bit more and buy an AT-Pro. It's fully submersible AND has iron audio. The iron audio is a huge help when relic hunting. Good luck.
Peace
 
Welcome and happy hunting!
 
Where'd he find that for that price? It seems all of Garrett's products are MAP priced. Seems to me that everybody sells it for the same price. Correct me if I'm wrong here?
Your way wrong...they have a set low price that they can advertise but call them and some will give a price hundreds cheaper than MAP.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom