txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is why I love this site, I would of never known what that was if I had found one.

WhiteCountyPaleo

Jul 21, 2008
Lafayette, IN
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
what's the sideways formation? a carb hole? not sure if they had those....hmmm looks natural or something...I'd have too see this one. a larger high definition image would help. is the top hole cone shaped?

OP
OP
DreamcatcherNC

DreamcatcherNC

Jul 22, 2008
$zero,

I have no idea what you're asking! None of the holes are cone shaped. It's obvious that the bowl was drilled with a stone drill (approx 1/2") but I've been unable to determine (even after discussing it with archaeologists) how the holes for the stem were drilled. There are two different size holes in the stem....going (naturally) from larger to smaller with the larger hole being approximately 3/8ths and the smaller hole going into the side of the bowl around 1/8th. One of the archaeologists opined that the stem holes were made by hand-twirling a wooden shaft using water and sand. I don't subscribe to this theory due to the fact that after breaking through the side of the bowl the stem drilling continued for about 1/4". One would assume that with all the labor intensive hand drilling the operator would stop as soon he broke through the wall of the bowl.

Thanks for your interest. Larry

Attachments

• Copy of Duncomb Crk pipe 1.JPG
    Copy of Duncomb Crk pipe 1.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 392

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
DreamcatcherNC said:
$zero,

I have no idea what you're asking! None of the holes are cone shaped. It's obvious that the bowl was drilled with a stone drill (approx 1/2") but I've been unable to determine (even after discussing it with archaeologists) how the holes for the stem were drilled. There are two different size holes in the stem....going (naturally) from larger to smaller with the larger hole being approximately 3/8ths and the smaller hole going into the side of the bowl around 1/8th. One of the archaeologists opined that the stem holes were made by hand-twirling a wooden shaft using water and sand. I don't subscribe to this theory due to the fact that after breaking through the side of the bowl the stem drilling continued for about 1/4". One would assume that with all the labor intensive hand drilling the operator would stop as soon he broke through the wall of the bowl.

Thanks for your interest. Larry

water and sand twirling a stick it make it, can you imagine the guy's long hard work in making it and then possibly breaking it and getting furstraited on having to start over. I think it is a very very cool discovery

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Here's a broken hematite [thing ?] that shows a cain /reed drilled hole ... somthing like a core drill . I believe if you needed a smaller hole , well a little stick would do the job just fine

JPEGhematitething.jpg

BlindPig

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread