What's new

Crematorium Tag – Returned to the Water, Just Not Where It Was Found

Ugly J

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2012
Messages
32
Reaction score
119
Golden Thread
0
Location
Idaho
Detector(s) used
E trac X-1, SEF 8x6
Excalibur II
Equinox 800
Manticore
ATX
AT pro
White's 5900 Dipro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,
This is something I’ve been meaning to share for a while, especially after seeing a couple posts from Lawrence the MD’er about crematorium tags and even gold crowns. It kind of hit home because I’ve been sitting on a similar experience for years.
About 15 years or more, I found a crematorium tag while detecting in Southern California. At the time, I didn’t know what it was. Like most of us, I enjoy the research side as much as the finds, and once I figured out what it actually was, it definitely changed how I looked at it.
I’ve heard all the opinions—bad juju, return it immediately, don’t keep it, etc. Truth is, I didn’t return it right away. Life moved on, and that tag ended up living in my wallet for years, right alongside a few lucky coins and other keepsakes. I didn’t look at it as something negative. If anything, I felt like I was carrying it with me—every hunt, every trip, every new place. Kind of like it was still “out there,” still part of the adventure.
For perspective, my wife keeps a small amount of her mom’s ashes with us in the car—we joke about it, but it’s also meaningful. I guess in a way, I looked at the tag the same way. It wasn’t forgotten, and it wasn’t disrespected.
Fast forward to last month—we took a family cruise through the eastern Caribbean. Somewhere along the trip, I knew it was time.
We ended up at the Baths – Virgin Gorda. If you’ve been there, you know it’s a beautiful spot—clear water, rock formations, and by the time we left, boats had started filling in. It just felt like the right place.
While snorkeling, I found a shell that the tag fit into perfectly. I took a moment, said a few words, and let it go. Nothing dramatic—just a simple send-off in a place that felt right. A place people come to enjoy, explore, and experience.
That was it. After all those years, it finally went back—not where I found it, but somewhere meaningful.
First hunt after that? Two rings right off the bat—one gold, one cheap toe ring. Take that however you want. Luck, coincidence, or just being back in the swing of things.
At the end of the day, we all come across things out there that have a story—sometimes more than we realize at first. This was one of those for me. If I found one again now, I’d probably handle it differently right away. But I don’t regret the path this one took.
Just wanted to share the experience.
IMG_1501.webp
 
Upvote 0
Hey everyone,
This is something I’ve been meaning to share for a while, especially after seeing a couple posts from Lawrence the MD’er about crematorium tags and even gold crowns. It kind of hit home because I’ve been sitting on a similar experience for years.
About 15 years or more, I found a crematorium tag while detecting in Southern California. At the time, I didn’t know what it was. Like most of us, I enjoy the research side as much as the finds, and once I figured out what it actually was, it definitely changed how I looked at it.
I’ve heard all the opinions—bad juju, return it immediately, don’t keep it, etc. Truth is, I didn’t return it right away. Life moved on, and that tag ended up living in my wallet for years, right alongside a few lucky coins and other keepsakes. I didn’t look at it as something negative. If anything, I felt like I was carrying it with me—every hunt, every trip, every new place. Kind of like it was still “out there,” still part of the adventure.
For perspective, my wife keeps a small amount of her mom’s ashes with us in the car—we joke about it, but it’s also meaningful. I guess in a way, I looked at the tag the same way. It wasn’t forgotten, and it wasn’t disrespected.
Fast forward to last month—we took a family cruise through the eastern Caribbean. Somewhere along the trip, I knew it was time.
We ended up at the Baths – Virgin Gorda. If you’ve been there, you know it’s a beautiful spot—clear water, rock formations, and by the time we left, boats had started filling in. It just felt like the right place.
While snorkeling, I found a shell that the tag fit into perfectly. I took a moment, said a few words, and let it go. Nothing dramatic—just a simple send-off in a place that felt right. A place people come to enjoy, explore, and experience.
That was it. After all those years, it finally went back—not where I found it, but somewhere meaningful.
First hunt after that? Two rings right off the bat—one gold, one cheap toe ring. Take that however you want. Luck, coincidence, or just being back in the swing of things.
At the end of the day, we all come across things out there that have a story—sometimes more than we realize at first. This was one of those for me. If I found one again now, I’d probably handle it differently right away. But I don’t regret the path this one took.
Just wanted to share the experience.View attachment 2251256
Great story, I have something similar, but it was human cremains.
I use to dig old privy’s in Baltimore City, the digger that took me under his wing, knew of an old row home the was about to be demolished. He had dug the privy, but said it had been a morticians home/office back in the 1920-1940’s, and the basement was loaded with all kinds of mortuary related items.
We took a bunch of milk crates and loaded up everything from old log books to make-up to jars of embalming fluid
This building was falling down on itself, and I was young and dumb, but the lure of adventure drove me deeper into the darkness. Didn’t find much in the back, except something that looked like a paint can.
After driving back home, while going through the stuff, I pried the lid off the “paint can” inside where ash’s and a piece of paper with a lady’s name and date she was cremated, I believe it was around 1943.
We had a buyer for all the mortuary stuff, but he didn’t want the ash’s understandably!
She rode around in my truck for a few weeks, as I tried to figure out what to do.
This was the early 90’s, so no internet to try and research a relative.
Thought about going to a church, but decided to spread her ash’s in a beautiful river near by.
I figured her mortal remains had been left abandoned in a basement of a crumbling old row home in West Baltimore, she deserved better.
 
Great story, I have something similar, but it was human cremains.
I use to dig old privy’s in Baltimore City, the digger that took me under his wing, knew of an old row home the was about to be demolished. He had dug the privy, but said it had been a morticians home/office back in the 1920-1940’s, and the basement was loaded with all kinds of mortuary related items.
We took a bunch of milk crates and loaded up everything from old log books to make-up to jars of embalming fluid
This building was falling down on itself, and I was young and dumb, but the lure of adventure drove me deeper into the darkness. Didn’t find much in the back, except something that looked like a paint can.
After driving back home, while going through the stuff, I pried the lid off the “paint can” inside where ash’s and a piece of paper with a lady’s name and date she was cremated, I believe it was around 1943.
We had a buyer for all the mortuary stuff, but he didn’t want the ash’s understandably!
She rode around in my truck for a few weeks, as I tried to figure out what to do.
This was the early 90’s, so no internet to try and research a relative.
Thought about going to a church, but decided to spread her ash’s in a beautiful river near by.
I figured her mortal remains had been left abandoned in a basement of a crumbling old row home in West Baltimore, she deserved better.
That’s a wild one—definitely hits different than a normal find. Sounds like you handled it the right way though… gave her a better resting place than a crumbling basement. 👍
 
Nice story. For some reason, cremation tags appear to be following me. On my last hunt for the season (my Florida hunting season usually runs from Dec - May but cut short), I found yet another cremation tag, this one from Capital Crematory Eastlake, NC. It is sitting on my window sill in Florida and will be retuned to the sea next season. Hope my luck holds out!
 

Attachments

  • 20260326_191517.webp
    20260326_191517.webp
    467 KB · Views: 48
  • Wow
Reactions: OBN
Nice story. For some reason, cremation tags appear to be following me. On my last hunt for the season (my Florida hunting season usually runs from Dec - May but cut short), I found yet another cremation tag, this one from Capital Crematory Eastlake, NC. It is sitting on my window sill in Florida and will be retuned to the sea next season. Hope my luck holds out!I appreciate that.
I appreciate that. Your post on the tags is actually what pushed me to share my story—glad you did. I always enjoy following your hunts, you come up with some great finds, and you’ve got a lot of solid knowledge behind it. Looking forward to seeing what you pull up next.
 
Well, I am extremely superstitious when it comes to cremation tags!! Over the years of water hunting I have found maybe half a dozen or more. as soon as I realize what it is, I immediately get rid of it with a prayer or two however the last one I found a few months ago was in Spanish. didn’t understand all that was written, so I took it home and had my wife read it and it turned out to be a cremation tag. Put it in the car and planned on returning it the next day when I went detecting well I forgot to throw it back in the water being excited that I was back at the beach ready to hunt. This went on for about a week and honestly I didn’t find very much that week then I realized I hadn’t thrown it back so I did right away. Things got better.
Once you know, it’s a crematory tag and keep it that’s when the bad juju hits! IMO🙏🏻
 
Well, I am extremely superstitious when it comes to cremation tags!! Over the years of water hunting I have found maybe half a dozen or more. as soon as I realize what it is, I immediately get rid of it with a prayer or two however the last one I found a few months ago was in Spanish. didn’t understand all that was written, so I took it home and had my wife read it and it turned out to be a cremation tag. Put it in the car and planned on returning it the next day when I went detecting well I forgot to throw it back in the water being excited that I was back at the beach ready to hunt. This went on for about a week and honestly I didn’t find very much that week then I realized I hadn’t thrown it back so I did right away. Things got better.
Once you know, it’s a crematory tag and keep it that’s when the bad juju hits! IMO🙏🏻
I get that—that’s actually why I carried that one around with me for all those years. In my head I was kind of trying to turn what could be bad juju into good mojo instead of just tossing it or sticking it in a display box.
I’ve been doing pretty good over the years, so now I’m kinda curious if I’ve been doing it right or wrong this whole time 😂 If it starts going the other way, I might be making a run to The Baths 😄
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom