LawrencetheMDer
Bronze Member
- Joined
- Feb 22, 2014
- Messages
- 1,142
- Reaction score
- 2,979
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Ohio and Florida
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab Manticore w M8, M11 and M15 coils, , Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
- Primary Interest:
- Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I started metal detecting the beaches of west coast Florida in 2015 and started to find cremation tags from all over the USA. Here is a little history of cremation tags and examples of the ones I have found over the past 11 years.
In 2023, approximately 63.4% of people were cremated; a rate projected to reach over 82% by 2045. Cremation has surpassed traditional burial in popularity due to lower costs, environmental considerations and changing religious views.
The International Cemetery, Cremation & Funeral Association (ICCFA) Identification Guidelines state;
“Funeral homes should implement a reliable system for the identification of human remains to give consumers assurance that safeguards are in place to minimize the incidence of misidentification. Further, in the case of a disinterment, or if a flood, earthquake, or other natural disaster disturb the place of interment, the identification and re interment of the human remains would be facilitated by this system.”
Thus, the metal cremation tag came into existence
Cremation ovens get up to 1400 – 1800°F in order to break down bone and teeth. To compensate, “304 stainless steel” is the preferred metal for cremation tags and has a melting point of 2000+°F. However, as shown below, different cremation tags can be found that are a thin copper plate. Pure copper melts at approximately 1984°F, again a higher temp then cremation ovens. This allows the tag to go into the oven with the remains and stay with them through the whole process.
Very few people know about cremation tags. Cremation tags are often in the urn or container when the ashes are dumped in memorable waters. Unintentionally, the cremation tag is deposited in the Gulf and sometimes recovered by a Metal Detectorist as in my case. All cremation tags I discuss here and exhibit were found beach detecting. Because keeping a cremation tag is bad luck (see Footnote), I always return the tag to the Gulf once I photo-document the find.
I have found 3 main types of cremation tags; the most common is the 304 SS type as noted above that is about 1 ¼” circular in diameter. The second type of cremation tag is a thin copper plate of ½” x 1 ¾”, and the third type is a thin copper plate measuring ¾” x 2” (approximate). All cremation tags have a hole and serial number. I do report below that one 304 SS cremation tag did not have a hole and also, unusual, the same tag had the ID number on back; most are on the front. Many cremation tags provide the name of the crematory, city and state. Others just have a stamped number. All Cremation tags reported here were found on the west coast of Florida. I hunted the east coast of Florida for 5-6 years and never can across a cremation tag, and I have no idea why except to say probability.
The 304 SS cremation tags are shown below (pics may not be in order) from various cematories including;
Regarding the smaller thin copper rectangular cremation tags, several are shown below. There was one from the C & S Crematory, and 2 with just serial numbers.
Regarding the larger thin copper type of crematory tag, all 4 examples were from the Palm State Crematory service in Clearwater, Florida.
Finally, it might be noteworthy that when you find a cremation tag there may be valuable gold nearby; dental gold that is, including charred but intact dental crowns and small dark balls of melted gold dental fillings. Dental Grill z are worth their weight in gold (10-18k). It is important to note that the melting point for 14k gold typically ranges from about 1615°F to 1700°F (879°C to 927°C), depending on the specific base metals (e.g., copper, silver, zinc) mixed with its 58.3% gold content. Lower karat gold melts at lower temperatures than pure gold (24k), which melts at 1947°F (1064°C). Again, cremation ovens get up to 1400 – 1800°F. So depending on the karat, you might find a ball of gold if lower karat and intact dental “appliances” if made from higher karat gold. I have found numerous dental Grill z and some, I swear, must have been made in 3rd World countries – unbelievably crude. [Some of the found Grill z may have been lost by a live wader – large wave hits his back and out pops his Grill z.] I have also found small balls of gold (melted dental fillings). IMPORTANT: These small balls of gold should not be confused with small balls of lead (fishing weights). They have similar color (and weight) and may appear the same as fishing shot – small round lead fishing weights that clip on the line. One distinguishing feature is that balls of gold have somewhat irregular shape i.e., not particularly round.
I have sent all types of dental gold to the refinery in the past 2 years. With gold going for around $5,000/oz, I’m looking for more.
“Dear Wife, I have to go “exercise” for the next 4 hrs (at the beach).”
Happy Hunting.
Note: I found-out the hard way why keeping a cremation tag is Baaaad luck! I hunt Florida 5 months/yr, when the boss lady allows. Each season I find about 15-20 +/-gold rings. A number of yrs ago, I found a cremation tag and, ignorant of The Curse, kept it as a souvenir. Immediately, I stopped finding gold. And this lasted 8 whole (spelled with a “W”) weeks! Learned via chats that keeping a cremation tag was bad luck and that I needed to return it to the Gulf. Desperate, I complied. The very next day I found a gold and silver ring. Enough said.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: March is Wear Your Bling to the Beach Month
In 2023, approximately 63.4% of people were cremated; a rate projected to reach over 82% by 2045. Cremation has surpassed traditional burial in popularity due to lower costs, environmental considerations and changing religious views.
The International Cemetery, Cremation & Funeral Association (ICCFA) Identification Guidelines state;
“Funeral homes should implement a reliable system for the identification of human remains to give consumers assurance that safeguards are in place to minimize the incidence of misidentification. Further, in the case of a disinterment, or if a flood, earthquake, or other natural disaster disturb the place of interment, the identification and re interment of the human remains would be facilitated by this system.”
Thus, the metal cremation tag came into existence
Cremation ovens get up to 1400 – 1800°F in order to break down bone and teeth. To compensate, “304 stainless steel” is the preferred metal for cremation tags and has a melting point of 2000+°F. However, as shown below, different cremation tags can be found that are a thin copper plate. Pure copper melts at approximately 1984°F, again a higher temp then cremation ovens. This allows the tag to go into the oven with the remains and stay with them through the whole process.
Very few people know about cremation tags. Cremation tags are often in the urn or container when the ashes are dumped in memorable waters. Unintentionally, the cremation tag is deposited in the Gulf and sometimes recovered by a Metal Detectorist as in my case. All cremation tags I discuss here and exhibit were found beach detecting. Because keeping a cremation tag is bad luck (see Footnote), I always return the tag to the Gulf once I photo-document the find.
I have found 3 main types of cremation tags; the most common is the 304 SS type as noted above that is about 1 ¼” circular in diameter. The second type of cremation tag is a thin copper plate of ½” x 1 ¾”, and the third type is a thin copper plate measuring ¾” x 2” (approximate). All cremation tags have a hole and serial number. I do report below that one 304 SS cremation tag did not have a hole and also, unusual, the same tag had the ID number on back; most are on the front. Many cremation tags provide the name of the crematory, city and state. Others just have a stamped number. All Cremation tags reported here were found on the west coast of Florida. I hunted the east coast of Florida for 5-6 years and never can across a cremation tag, and I have no idea why except to say probability.
The 304 SS cremation tags are shown below (pics may not be in order) from various cematories including;
- East Ridgelawn Crematory in Clifton NJ,
- Southeastern Crematory in Clearwater Fl,
- Schoedinger Crematory in Columbus Ohio,
- Restland Crematory,
- Southeastern Crematory,
- Tri-county Crematory,
- Newton-Bracewell Crematory in Chico, Cal
- Hermitage Crematory, Hermitage Tenn
- Woodlawn Crematory
- Schoedinger Crematory in Columbus Ohio; w/o hole and ID on reverse
- 304 SS without the name of the crematory or location.
Regarding the smaller thin copper rectangular cremation tags, several are shown below. There was one from the C & S Crematory, and 2 with just serial numbers.
Regarding the larger thin copper type of crematory tag, all 4 examples were from the Palm State Crematory service in Clearwater, Florida.
Finally, it might be noteworthy that when you find a cremation tag there may be valuable gold nearby; dental gold that is, including charred but intact dental crowns and small dark balls of melted gold dental fillings. Dental Grill z are worth their weight in gold (10-18k). It is important to note that the melting point for 14k gold typically ranges from about 1615°F to 1700°F (879°C to 927°C), depending on the specific base metals (e.g., copper, silver, zinc) mixed with its 58.3% gold content. Lower karat gold melts at lower temperatures than pure gold (24k), which melts at 1947°F (1064°C). Again, cremation ovens get up to 1400 – 1800°F. So depending on the karat, you might find a ball of gold if lower karat and intact dental “appliances” if made from higher karat gold. I have found numerous dental Grill z and some, I swear, must have been made in 3rd World countries – unbelievably crude. [Some of the found Grill z may have been lost by a live wader – large wave hits his back and out pops his Grill z.] I have also found small balls of gold (melted dental fillings). IMPORTANT: These small balls of gold should not be confused with small balls of lead (fishing weights). They have similar color (and weight) and may appear the same as fishing shot – small round lead fishing weights that clip on the line. One distinguishing feature is that balls of gold have somewhat irregular shape i.e., not particularly round.
I have sent all types of dental gold to the refinery in the past 2 years. With gold going for around $5,000/oz, I’m looking for more.
“Dear Wife, I have to go “exercise” for the next 4 hrs (at the beach).”
Happy Hunting.
Note: I found-out the hard way why keeping a cremation tag is Baaaad luck! I hunt Florida 5 months/yr, when the boss lady allows. Each season I find about 15-20 +/-gold rings. A number of yrs ago, I found a cremation tag and, ignorant of The Curse, kept it as a souvenir. Immediately, I stopped finding gold. And this lasted 8 whole (spelled with a “W”) weeks! Learned via chats that keeping a cremation tag was bad luck and that I needed to return it to the Gulf. Desperate, I complied. The very next day I found a gold and silver ring. Enough said.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: March is Wear Your Bling to the Beach Month
Upvote
0







