What's new

crimped coins

Johnny5

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2011
Messages
96
Reaction score
57
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelabs CTX 3030, Excalibur and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just went thru two boxes. I got 1 1964 and two 405 silver coins. I noticed that there were a lot of nice coins (some nifc) that were in great condition except they had crimping on the edges , Does any one know if this was done intentionally or by machine error. Half the boxes seem to have this error, sample below.Damage is at the bottom of the coins. IMG_3359.webp
 
Upvote 0
My understanding is that is caused by the collar clashing with the obverse die, in this case.
 
Is this considered a defect? If so is the value small?
 
No added value. I would guess that the event of the volume of this error would make perfect coins more desirable
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom