What's new

Crotal bell with a surprise! And a flat button

fernald1

Full Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2014
Messages
114
Reaction score
548
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to a place I found the other day.
I found a crotal bell and a flat button. When I got back to the truck and cleaned out the dirt from inside the bell? To my surprise, someone had placed a spun tombac button inside the bell , probably to replace the missing clacker ? Very cool. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463631384.370665.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463631398.309835.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463631413.029508.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463632804.730364.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463632816.013213.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463632826.533146.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463632839.351134.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463632848.567874.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463632859.902631.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463632869.270786.webp
[/URL][/IMG]
 
Upvote 38
Probably as you suggest to replace the iron pea.
The button will roughly date the bell to the late 18th C !
 
I have found several crotal bells, but none with a button inside. Cool find!

aj
 
Very nice Crotal Bell. I never get tired of digging those things. The button was an extra surprise.
 
Very nice bell. That is neat it had a button in it like that. Not a find to soon forget. Have only found one and a half of those crotal bells and both looked like they where stepped on by a horse and a mule.
 
Hi; From the lettering and the way the shaft is applied I'd date it to 1780's. Nice find. I wish I could make out the lettering at the 2:00 angle. Can you clean those a bit then take a picture with those letters at the top. I may be able to tell you who the Maker was and Date it more accurately ok. PEACE:RONB
 
That's pretty interesting. First time I've seen that. Congrats!
 
I know I'll never find one down here in Florida, but I never get tired of seeing those crotal bells. So common in the New England area, but a cool, old find nevertheless. Great find!
 
Love finding Crotal bells, maybe I should check mine for buttons. Lol
Awesome find!
 
Last edited:
Cool crotal bell. You would think I would find one of these here in VA, but haven't found one yet! I think the writing on the back that one button is "ORANGE..."? Can you make out the other word? Nice finds, and thanks for sharing.
 
Yes Tommy, it's " imperial orange gilt"
 
Good job!!!!!!!!!!!1
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom