What's new

CUB SCOUT fob thing, BE SQUARE - DO YOUR BEST

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2006
Messages
2,429
Reaction score
697
Golden Thread
0
Location
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
CUB SCOUT 'fob' thing, BE SQUARE - DO YOUR BEST

Hello!

I found this cub scout fob today downtown Eugene Oregon. It's made of copper/bronze ~ measures an inch and a quarter (32 millimeters) square. The front reads, "BE SQUARE - DO YOUR BEST - CUB SCOUTS BSA". and the back side reads, "I PROMISE TO DO MY BEST TO DO MY DUTY TO GOD AND MY COUNRTY, TO BE SQUARE AND TO OBEY THE LAW OF THE PACK".

Just curious on how old this item is. Anyone know what years these were made and used?

THANKS!
Neil
 

Attachments

  • May30-2010cubSCOUTfront.webp
    May30-2010cubSCOUTfront.webp
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,022
  • May30-2010cubSCOUTback.webp
    May30-2010cubSCOUTback.webp
    13.7 KB · Views: 877
Re: CUB SCOUT 'fob' thing, BE SQUARE - DO YOUR BEST

I would say the early to mid 60's
 
Upvote 0
Re: CUB SCOUT 'fob' thing, BE SQUARE - DO YOUR BEST

cool no matter how old. I could only find a reference to the " to be square" part of the cs promise that ended in 1972 and was changed but couldnt find the age of the token.
 
Upvote 0
Re: CUB SCOUT 'fob' thing, BE SQUARE - DO YOUR BEST

An observation:
For those of us old enough to remember (and who still have the ability to remember), back in the day the phrase "be square" meant be fair and honest with all your dealings with others. Then, in the 70s that phased took on another definition:
A 'square' kid was the term used to describe a nerd, geek, dork...un-hip, un-cool, unpopular, not 'with-it', etc.
Today, I don't hear the word being used anymore to describe a person.
Don..........
 
Upvote 0
Re: CUB SCOUT 'fob' thing, BE SQUARE - DO YOUR BEST

Wow! It's been a long time since I was a Cub Scout. My memory recalls the oath like this:

On my honor, I promise to do my best, to do my duty to God and my Country, to be square and to obey the law of the pack.

Nice find!
 
Upvote 0
Re: CUB SCOUT 'fob' thing, BE SQUARE - DO YOUR BEST

Very cool find, Neil! Sorry I can't help with the age, but I'd like to have it in my collection. :headbang:

I wonder if detectorists 50 years from now will be saying "Well, it must be pre 2010 because that is the year that they took God's name off of all boyscout badges".

MP
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom