CW Pocket Knives-FINALLY, Something To Compare Mine To...

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you hunt for CW relics, you are likely to recover rusty pocket knives in camps. One Tennessee Trio member recovers a knife in a CW site about every 15-20 hunts from CS and US camps. Since millions of pocket knives were made before and after the CW, I have not found anyone (including friends regarded as CW relic experts) who can say with 100% confidence that a rusty knife is CW period even though I may have dug CW relics all around it.
In February, we hunted a 1862 U.S. Infantry camp and I recovered the rusty knife in the pic with part of the wooden handle intact. In fact, it's pictured in my article "Morgan's Daring Raid" featured along with recoveries from Dman, Tenn. Josh, and Tenn. Digger in the current issue of North South trader's Civil War Magazine.
Today, a friend of the Trio and Tenn. Digger listed some personal items from a CW Soldier who served with the 22nd GA Vol. Infantry on his relic website. The emblem on that non dug example of the soldier's knife is very close to the one I dug as you see in the pic.
To complicate identifications, British made knife examples are mixed in the CW period recoveries as shown in Crouch's relic book. This Georgia Soldier's knife is the closest example to the one I dug that I have seen to date . Maybe a knife expert will publish an identification guide to CW period pocket knives in the future. If you know of one already, I'd be happy to know the name. HH from rainy Tennessee, Quindy.

Attachments

• Quindy's Knife from US Inf. Camp.JPG
    Quindy's Knife from US Inf. Camp.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 103
  • Knife belonging to CSA Soldier.jpg
    Knife belonging to CSA Soldier.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 0

Attachments

• 001_1.JPG
    001_1.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 83