CW Union camp site in central Texas?

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon fellow t-netters,

For the past 4 days I have been hunting an old log cabin site. Not much of it remains now except a few old logs and the stone foundation, and it is not a very big structure at all. I really didn't expect much, but boy I was sure surprised at the relics I have been finding there.

One of the first things I found was a CW eagle button, then a lid from an old gunpowder box (circa 1860). I was pretty excited about that! There were bits and pieces everywhere. Harness buckles, pistol balls, couple of mini balls, a heel plate, a rosette and even a partial saddle shield from a McClellan saddle!

Now I have an idea what you CW relic guys back east feel like. ;D This is a little puzzling to me (I'm not a Civil War historian) and I am pretty sure no battles were fought here, so I guess it must have been a reconstruction era military base camp for a while. :dontknow:

Anyway, it was a whole lot of fun and I probably will make one more pass over the area real soon.

Thanks for looking and,
HH 2012

Attachments

• DSCN2020.JPG
    DSCN2020.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 791
  • DSCN2031.JPG
    DSCN2031.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 736
  • DSCN2034.JPG
    DSCN2034.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 764
  • DSCN2039.JPG
    DSCN2039.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 790
  • DSCN2040.JPG
    DSCN2040.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 820
  • DSCN2020.JPG
    DSCN2020.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 792
Upvote 0

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thrillathahunt said:
Curious The George said:
Your home site might be the home of a veteran who returned home with all his gear intact. Over the years stuff wore out and were discarded around the home.

You need to do a little research on who lived there just after the CW and then take that name and research him and see if he was a veteran, or one of his sons were.

George, I don't think this little old shack was ever a homestead....I think it was hastily constructed by the Army for temporary use. IMO

Thanks for all your comments folks. :hello:
Interesting stuff. You need to keep hitting the site, there may be a belt buckle in the brush.

natepen

Feb 21, 2009
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, with all those belt buckles that must of been an interesting spot with everyone walking around with their pants around their ankles.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a GREAT variety of finds, TATH! Looks like a spot where I'd be keeping everything I dig so I don't toss anything of importance out. (done that before) You've got an exciting site to hunt! Dig it all. :icon_pirat: Have you found anything on the token yet? Does it have anything on the back side?

Congrats on all those finds!!! Good luck on the return~

Nana :hello:

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
natepen said:
Wow, with all those belt buckles that must of been an interesting spot with everyone walking around with their pants around their ankles.

Now that is funny! ;D :hello:

I think all but one or maybe two are horse related. :D

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana40 said:
What a GREAT variety of finds, TATH! Looks like a spot where I'd be keeping everything I dig so I don't toss anything of importance out. (done that before) You've got an exciting site to hunt! Dig it all. :icon_pirat: Have you found anything on the token yet? Does it have anything on the back side?

Congrats on all those finds!!! Good luck on the return~

Nana :hello:

Well hello there Ms. Nana. Looks like you have been busy diggin there in 'bama. :thumbsup:

The token looking thingy is a brass cap from a black powder box...but when I first saw it I thought it was a token too. Haven't found any coins or tokens there yet...but I am going to keep tryin'. :D

HH 2012

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps if I had paid attention to what I had read.... :D That's still so awesome! All of it. :icon_pirat:

Nana :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions