CW Union camp site in central Texas?

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon fellow t-netters,

For the past 4 days I have been hunting an old log cabin site. Not much of it remains now except a few old logs and the stone foundation, and it is not a very big structure at all. I really didn't expect much, but boy I was sure surprised at the relics I have been finding there.

One of the first things I found was a CW eagle button, then a lid from an old gunpowder box (circa 1860). I was pretty excited about that! There were bits and pieces everywhere. Harness buckles, pistol balls, couple of mini balls, a heel plate, a rosette and even a partial saddle shield from a McClellan saddle!

Now I have an idea what you CW relic guys back east feel like. ;D This is a little puzzling to me (I'm not a Civil War historian) and I am pretty sure no battles were fought here, so I guess it must have been a reconstruction era military base camp for a while. :dontknow:

Anyway, it was a whole lot of fun and I probably will make one more pass over the area real soon.

Thanks for looking and,
HH 2012

Attachments

• DSCN2020.JPG
    DSCN2020.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 790
  • DSCN2031.JPG
    DSCN2031.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 735
  • DSCN2034.JPG
    DSCN2034.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 763
  • DSCN2039.JPG
    DSCN2039.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 789
  • DSCN2040.JPG
    DSCN2040.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 819
  • DSCN2020.JPG
    DSCN2020.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 791
Upvote 0

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting finds. I don't know too much about CW action in Tx, but you're clearly onto something great! Happy hunting,
-Ox

manorman

Dec 8, 2008
The US army was in Texas before the CW, and after the CW and had a few battles durring the War.
Mike

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds! A few years ago, I was invited to hunt an area thought to have been a Union Camp about 3o minutes southwest of Dallas.
Unfortunately, I couldn't make it on that one, but I know some Union stuff was found by those who did.

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow nice finds! You've got a great spot to hunt, keep us posted on future hunts to that spot. HH

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Rick, you always find the good stuff. maybe i should follow after you and pick up the leftovers. :tongue3:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You certainly have a military related spot there with all that lead found. I never find that amount of lead in an old mid-1800s homesite.

Keep the spot well guarded, and don't let anyone poach it from you. (Been a lot of that going on lately, unfortunately).

You will want to widen out your search area as far in every direction as you find relics. Get a sense of the size of the site you're on.

Follow hunches. Go towards water sources and hunt around springs or creeks on the property. And above all, have fun! I am looking forward to seeing what else you turn up.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
You certainly have a military related spot there with all that lead found. I never find that amount of lead in an old mid-1800s homesite.

Keep the spot well guarded, and don't let anyone poach it from you. (Been a lot of that going on lately, unfortunately).

You will want to widen out your search area as far in every direction as you find relics. Get a sense of the size of the site you're on.

Follow hunches. Go towards water sources and hunt around springs or creeks on the property. And above all, have fun! I am looking forward to seeing what else you turn up.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Thanks BB, I appreciate your comments. I will never catch up to you though. :notworthy:

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could also be an old Buffalo Camp....

romeo-1 said:
That site's a winner!!

I know in TX and other SW states that traders/hunters were veterans. I know of a few folks who consistently find CW related items (uniform buttons, even US plates) at sites such as these. There is some US activity in TX, but there is a good amount of 1850's movements, so might be from one of those as well.

Nice finds.

Dan

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your home site might be the home of a veteran who returned home with all his gear intact. Over the years stuff wore out and were discarded around the home.

You need to do a little research on who lived there just after the CW and then take that name and research him and see if he was a veteran, or one of his sons were.

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious The George said:
Your home site might be the home of a veteran who returned home with all his gear intact. Over the years stuff wore out and were discarded around the home.

You need to do a little research on who lived there just after the CW and then take that name and research him and see if he was a veteran, or one of his sons were.

George, I don't think this little old shack was ever a homestead....I think it was hastily constructed by the Army for temporary use. IMO

Thanks for all your comments folks. :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions