Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett XL500 “Super Pulse”
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After some trial and error i think I have finally got my new CZ21 to where I want it. Because I chest mount, I needed to ensure any stress on coil cable and headphones was minimised or stopped altogether.
Here is what I have done, starting from the coil and working up.

Shaft and coil;
Several layers of Plasti-Dip to protect the coil. I hate coil covers and had to destroy the old one to get it off.
Just enough coil cable slack for the coil to rotate.
Coil cable wrapped firmly and in a straight line.
A “Plugger” shaft lock that joins the upper and lower shaft. These are a great product.
Off the shelf carbon fibre upper shaft. I got two lengths of 40” for around $50.
Minelab handle and arm cuff were added as I use the stock shaft for diving.

Control Box;
The white plastic (called Cable Tie Mounts with a strong adhesive backing) “bit” on top serves as a point to cable tie the coil cable to. This eliminates any stress on the cable by creating a small loop. I added some white electrical tape to the area that the cable tie secures the coil cable so it doesn’t bite in.
Some strong rubber bands (green in photo) that secure the headphone cable to the body of the detector. This prevents cable stress for when the headphones get washed off your head.
4 x Imedion 9.6V NiMH rechargeable batteries. These are good for about 20 hours.

That is about it. After every use, the whole unit is washed in fresh water thoroughly and a good dose of silicone spray is applied to just about everywhere, especially the 4 control knobs and detector case. I also take off the headphone pads and soak them and the headphones in a bucket of fresh water to really get rid of any salt build up.

I hope some of these ideas might help other people out. I’d like to hear about what you do with your CZ21 or underwater detectors. I firmly believe a good (preventative) maintenance schedule is crucial to a long service life.

HH,
Tony

Attachments

• IMG_20151231_172205465.jpg
    IMG_20151231_172205465.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 163
  • _20151231_172535.jpg
    _20151231_172535.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 160
  • _20151231_172615.jpg
    _20151231_172615.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good. I to had to literally cut my coil cover off which took almost 2 hours worth of work and a few choice words. I've always used coil covers but found they don't work well for me where I hunt at a beach that wore a hole through it. What is "plasti-dip" and where did you purchase it?

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good. I to had to literally cut my coil cover off which took almost 2 hours worth of work and a few choice words. I've always used coil covers but found they don't work well for me where I hunt at a beach that wore a hole through it. What is "plasti-dip" and where did you purchase it?

Plasti-dip comes in aresol can and can be sprayed on like paint. It comes in many bright colors. A more commons use for this for cars. I don't have the link , but Google it

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hookaforgold, I found that plast -dip was too soft and would require a lot of maintenance.How long have you been using it?

OP
OP
Octopulse

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hookaforgold, I found that plast -dip was too soft and would require a lot of maintenance.How long have you been using it?

I buy it by the can (not spray can) and brush it on. Now that I think about it, I probably have closer to 10 coats all up.
I used Plasti-dip on my old White's coil and it lasted for quite a few years without any coming off. The more coats the better as it sets like a solid piece of rubber and is very durable. My coils are also scraped over rocks and reef and no problems at all. Have a look at the last photo...I would guess the coating is about 5mm thick !! Coats can be reapplied every 15 minutes or so during warmer weather so put aside a couple of hours all up and it is worth it. I used to apply an epoxy based coating but it was too brittle.
Thanks, Tony.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Octopulse

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My coil cover came off alright....in about 80 pieces. A pair of small side cutters was the right tool for the job but not before I just about lost a few finger nails....never cursed so much in my life !

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy it by the can (not spray can) and brush it on. Now that I think about it, I probably have closer to 10 coats all up.
I used Plasti-dip on my old White's coil and it lasted for quite a few years without any coming off. The more coats the better as it sets like a solid piece of rubber and is very durable. My coils are also scraped over rocks and reef and no problems at all. Have a look at the last photo...I would guess the coating is about 5mm thick !! Coats can be reapplied every 15 minutes or so during warmer weather so put aside a couple of hours all up and it is worth it. I used to apply an epoxy based coating but it was too brittle.
Thanks, Tony.

Thanks that really looks good. I really need to do that with mine. I appreciate your explaining how you did it, looks great

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I guess I have to see what plast- dip colors are now available.Lol

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't use silicone spray, I'm concerned it will seep past the o-rings and gum up the potentiometers.

I just soak in fresh water for a few minutes after use.

I love chest mounting my cz ... it may look super nerdy but I don't care I'm on a mission.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
It only looks nerdy if you clip a calculator to it. Chest mounts are cool and easy on the arm.

OP
OP
Octopulse

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use silicone spray, I'm concerned it will seep past the o-rings and gum up the potentiometers.

I just soak in fresh water for a few minutes after use.

I love chest mounting my cz ... it may look super nerdy but I don't care I'm on a mission.

If anything, the silicone spray nourishes all plastic and rubber. It is not petroleum based. I have been using it on all my water detectors for 15 years and never had a problem. No chance of gumming up anything, it is designed as an all parts lubricant and protection. Additionally, it can't seep past anything that water couldn't already penetrate but if it did, so much the better. I don't use it much on the gasket but spray the captive screws and female thread.
I like to use it on the coil and HP cables as well. Offsets the UV damage that will cause some cable jackets to crack and become brittle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Octopulse

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, a good freshwater soaking is essential. I have also been known to use a very mild white vinegar solution as this encourages the salt deposits to dissolve away really well. As we all now, even small salt deposits can degrade rubber and plastic, not to mention any metal parts. I don't think you can "over maintain" anything that spends 20 hours a week submerged in the warm salt water.

OP
OP
Octopulse

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks that really looks good. I really need to do that with mine. I appreciate your explaining how you did it, looks great

Every colour in the rainbow.....I chose yellow as it provides a good underwater colour and it is typically the "keep away from me" danger colour that some marine life give off......I hope I never have to test it out though !

OP
OP
Octopulse

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It only looks nerdy if you clip a calculator to it. Chest mounts are cool and easy on the arm.

Hot girls in bikini's cannot resist a guy with a metal detector.......we exude confidence and they like that !
This is my story and I'm stickin' to it....:laughing7:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nerdy or not, I bet I get more conversation from with girls using my metal detector than the guys do on the beach throwing a football ;) Easily 3 or 4 per hunt!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realized that plasti- dip looks good but I think you'll find that it's not durable enough . Rubbing the coil against the sand will quickly cause peeling. I have used it on the handles of my aluminum scoops and it does peel . It would some kind of clear coat to protect the plasti- dip.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The coil is just magnet wire covered with epoxy... so I just let it wear, and when it starts to look a bit worn I cover again with black thickened epoxy, making a dam around the coil with blue painters tape.

OP
OP
Octopulse

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realized that plasti- dip looks good but I think you'll find that it's not durable enough . Rubbing the coil against the sand will quickly cause peeling. I have used it on the handles of my aluminum scoops and it does peel . It would some kind of clear coat to protect the plasti- dip.

10 coats thick on my last and current coil.......5 years so far and never retouched up. Thickness is the key for sure. Thin coats will peel.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10 coats thick on my last and current coil.......5 years so far and never retouched up. Thickness is the key for sure. Thin coats will peel.

Thanks I certainly would not expect it to last that long, I will order some tomorrow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread