Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday Amigos

Matey so much gold down under ya do not even need a metal detector apparently.

The Bendigo advertiser told of the following discovery. A Bendigo family has found a 20-ounce gold nugget, thought to be worth more than $35,000.

The father-of-two, who did not want to be named, said he was walking in the outskirts of the city with his daughters and their dog Lucky when they stumbled upon the gold.

"It was Mother's Day morning and we decided to go for a walk," he said. "Mum actually stayed at home so me, my two daughters and Lucky were just walking along.

"I actually walked right past it but my daughter pretty much kicked it as she was walking. She then goes - dad, is this gold? I said, I think it might be."

attachment.php

The father said experts have assessed the nugget. They confirmed it was gold.

"We couldn't find anywhere to properly weigh it," the father said. "We ended up taking it to the IGA and weighing it up there at the supermarket. "They weren't too happy that we were weighing it at the deli there."

The nugget weighed in at 624 grams or 20 ounces. The family has been told it could be worth more than $35,000.

"To sell it as a nugget whole, it's probably worth a little bit more than that," he said. "We've come on some tough times so it's really good because we've been struggling financially. It couldn't be better timing really."

The father said they were planning to sell the nugget, although he had hoped to hold onto it for longer. "Just having it at home, I've been like where do we store it? I haven't been sleeping very well and we think it's best just to sell it."

The father said the family does have plans to return to the site where they found the nugget. "I have done a little bit of prospecting in the past," he said. "I've dug a couple of holes and never found anything but it's not something I usually do. "It was just a really random find but we will be going back."Usually when you find a nugget that big, there will be more gold around so hopefully that's the case."

Got to get a dog called "Lucky" amigos.

attachment.php

Crow

Attachments

• r0_0_5568_3712_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
    r0_0_5568_3712_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 189
  • r0_0_5568_3465_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
    r0_0_5568_3465_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be taking that beautiful dog (Lucky) hunting with me every time!

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
I would of loved to have heard what the local deli staff thought when they weighed a gold nugget on their scales. I bet they do not see that every day.

Crow

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Amigos.

It goes to show lady luck can strike anywhere.

Kanacki

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread