Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank Dies in 1901

Montour American. (Danville, Pa.), 21 Feb. 1901.

View attachment 1322730
View attachment 1322731

1.jpg
2.jpg

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/l...acob+gearhart&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a Bit Long . I Have not Read it yet.
It appears to be Connected, However Because of Size, Finding all 3 parts, Editing them
To hopefully Post large enough to Read & My normal Impatience :tongue3: it will Probably be a
Bedtime story For Me :laughing7: [can I have some Milk & Cookies]

Some Caviets, The Danville Treasure which has been accused of
Being a Hoax may mean if it was, this may be also. However if they just mean the
Capt. Kidd Connection was a Hoax.
Or if it's just a Matter of the Skeptics Follow the Nay Sayers words :dontknow:

Any Who, There is also a Story of Black Beard (Not the Pirate) burying a Treasure in PA.
It may have been "Black Jack" & The Treasure Stories Screwed up on Names ,
Or maybe this Writer Screwed up, Or Everyone screwed up.

But Since I'm not a Nay sayer Who Blows "everything Treasure Related" Off.
Unless it Fits an Outer Limits Show

Here Goes :coffee2:

000xxx.jpg
000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg
000ccc.jpg
000ddd.jpg
000eee.jpg
000fff.jpg
000ggg.jpg
000hhh.jpg
000iii.jpg
000jjj.jpg
000kkk.jpg
000lll.jpg
000mmm.jpg
000nnn.jpg
000ooo.jpg
000ppp.jpg
000qqq.jpg
000rrr.jpg
000sss.jpg
000ttt.jpg
000uuu.jpg
000vvv.jpg
000www.jpg

Last edited:

mortaky

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2014
Danville, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 80
Bounty Hunter
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been trying to figure this one out for years now. I live in Danville and spend a lot of time on the river. The island in question is about 3 miles south toward Sunbury and it is very small. I also believe the river is too shallow as it is now. However the local history books tell a story about a big steam powered ship the navigated the river from below Sunbury to Berwick in the early 1900's. It may have been possible for Kidd or someone else to come that far if the river was deeper back then? I am just throwing this out there as a possibility. I have been running the river for the last 40 years and it has changed a little every year. Also, The local library has the same story about the fern roots in the archive for the Montour County newspaper. I will try to do more research locally.

mortaky

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2014
Danville, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 80
Bounty Hunter
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday (6-10-20) I went detecting with a friend along the Susquehanna river in Danville about 3/4 mile below my house. We were detecting old swimming spots and looking on the shoreline near the bank. I got a nice hi-tone hit on the NOX and dug up a a new 50 states quarter in a plastic case. I called out to my friend and he came to my area and for the next hour we dug $10.50 in quarters and 9 special mint coins all in a clear plastic case! We believe someone buried them there after a theft. Most of them were in a spot 18 inches in diameter. It just goes to show you that you never know what or where you will find treasure with this hobby. We also suspect that some paper money was deposited also as there were several paper clips in the hole. We have notified the local police to see if someone reported a loss. I know this story is not related directly to the treasure in the thread but it did get me and my friend to go down to the island and give it a try. Wish us luck and I will keep you updated.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found that one will often stumble on an unknown treasure while searching for one of the more well known treasures. Seek one treasure and you may find another on your journey.....I know it happened to me once !!

mortaky

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2014
Danville, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 80
Bounty Hunter
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday (6-10-20) I went detecting with a friend along the Susquehanna river in Danville about 3/4 mile below my house. We were detecting old swimming spots and looking on the shoreline near the bank. I got a nice hi-tone hit on the NOX and dug up a a new 50 states quarter in a plastic case. I called out to my friend and he came to my area and for the next hour we dug $10.50 in quarters and 9 special mint coins all in a clear plastic case! We believe someone buried them there after a theft. Most of them were in a spot 18 inches in diameter. It just goes to show you that you never know what or where you will find treasure with this hobby. We also suspect that some paper money was deposited also as there were several paper clips in the hole. We have notified the local police to see if someone reported a loss. I know this story is not related directly to the treasure in the thread but it did get me and my friend to go down to the island and give it a try. Wish us luck and I will keep you updated.
adding this bit but not sure if it means anything. There is a small island 3 miles down stream from the Danville river bridge, this is the one I thought the story was depicting. It is very small and under water most of the time which made me think it is not that old. There are two large islands up stream about 3 miles from the river bridge. These islands are actually south of Danville on the map. The biggest island is owned by a friend of mine and it is 47 acres. A smaller island is almost connected to the larger island. I believe it is owned by a fellow in Philadelphia. Even though these two islands are up stream, they still look south on a map and when I drive my car towards them my compass says south. I live right across from these islands and could probably get permission. I do know from experience walking the island, it is like a jungle with the foilage. It would be best to hunt before everything starts regrowing.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take it for what it is ..... AN OLD OLD STORY >>>>>
Did they concoct the ttreasure, or Concoct the story because
they learned too late, that they should have kept their mouths shut ??

Northumberland County Democrat

Sunbury, Pennsylvania
02 Oct 1890, Thu β€’ Page 1

000aaa.jpg
000BBB.jpg
000ccc.jpg
000ddd.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread