What's new

DARING RESCUE OF CAPTAIN KANGAROO

against the wind

Platinum Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2015
Messages
24,896
Reaction score
24,983
Golden Thread
0
Location
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just never know what or who you will encounter in NYC Park. Some of the neighborhoods that I hunt in are considered pretty rough. You have to keep your eyes open and stay alert. I had a good hunt yesterday. The kids were in school and the park was relatively empty. It was nice and cool weather wise, and the saturated soil was giving up targets at a good pace.
Towards the end of the hunt, I came across Miss Winged Liberty. Always nice to see her. Then I encountered a legend. Captain Kangaroo. Back in the day, this guy was a true hero to millions of kids across the country. Here he was in front of me, all bent and dirty. I offered to take him home, clean him up, and straightened him out.
Right about then I was approached by "The Headless Horseman." He told me that Captain Kangaroo was a prisoner and would not be allowed to leave the park. Although I didn't see him at first, "The Invisible Man" was standing right next to "The Headless Horseman". It was then that Miss Winged Liberty went into action. She stirred up a small dust storm which covered "The Invisible Man."
Now able to see both of them I pulled out the rusty pistol that I had recovered earlier and threatened to blow out "The Headless Horseman's Brains"
This really confused them. (No Head = No Brains).
Miss Liberty and I took advantage up their confusion and carried Captain Kangaroo to my bike and we scooted out of there. It was a little scary there for a moment but the rescue was successful. Now I know that some of you guys are thinking that "against the wind" has been smoking some of that wacky tobacky but before you jump to conclusions, HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!!

My finds for the day were: 21q, 24d, 13n, 42 memorials, 4 wheat pennies, ( 20, 27, 50, & 50d), a 1936 Mercury Dime, 1974 Canadian Penny, a dog tag, a Great Seal Button, a Sunbeam I.D. Tag, some brass, an iron pistol, an Admiral George Dewey play money token, and a Captain Kangaroo Ring.
My Silver Coin Count for 2015 is now 141.
IMG_2019.webpIMG_2017.webpIMG_2016.webpIMG_2018.webpIMG_2020.webpIMG_2022.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 30
Nice story there, first CK ring I've seen posted here to ! :occasion14: Oh and the Mercs are always welcome finds too :headbang: Lots of digging there llooks like a real workout .
 
Never seen a captain Kangaroo ring, Congrats! That looks like a nice park but definitely would be scary at night. Cool Haul.
 
Nice going on the silver and the ring. The little iron pistol is rust bucket, any plans on zapping it to see if there's anything/detail hiding under the rust
 
Nice going on the silver and the ring. The little iron pistol is rust bucket, any plans on zapping it to see if there's anything/detail hiding under the rust
I was thinking about a few hours of soaking in some vinegar,, what do you think??
 
some of those tv items hold value.maybe you could straighten him out?looks like a fun hunt !!
 
I was thinking about a few hours of soaking in some vinegar,, what do you think??

I really don't know, iron restoration is going to be a winter project for me. Apple cider Vinegar might work if you leave it soak for a while.
 
Man you had a work out. My knees are sore after looking at the digs from the hunt. I only hunt the seedier sides of the local cities with a partner. It's always nice to have another pair of eyes for security.
 
Nice bunch of finds.
 
Great batch of finds. I also like to see Miss Winged Liberty come to light.
 
That pic on the bottom looks like Central Park in NYC? I was there in C.P. three months ago for my wife's family reunion. I did not have my detector while enjoying NYC for that day. (really like the pizza in NYC!) :)

Is it legal to hunt C.P.? The whole time I was there I was drooling and salivating at the possibilities in Central Park NYC!

Nice finds!
 
In real life the captain was a Marine.
 
We have Metal Detector Permits in NYC. There are 31 parks and 7 beaches that you can hunt.
CENTRAL PARK is off limits. There's some good stuff in there. Don't get caught.
That pic on the bottom looks like Central Park in NYC? I was there in C.P. three months ago for my wife's family reunion. I did not have my detector while enjoying NYC for that day. (really like the pizza in NYC!) :)

Is it legal to hunt C.P.? The whole time I was there I was drooling and salivating at the possibilities in Central Park NYC!

Nice finds!
 
nice finds brother as always .....
 
Like that captain kangaroo ring, nice merc to brother,l know what yah mean about hunting in dangerous parts, all of the parks in upstate NY are dangerous, but I got something for them if they want to bring it..:laughing7:
 
Man you had a work out. My knees are sore after looking at the digs from the hunt. I only hunt the seedier sides of the local cities with a partner. It's always nice to have another pair of eyes for security.

I also hunt the seedier sides with a partner, his name is Mr.45
 
You just never know what or who you will encounter in NYC Park. Some of the neighborhoods that I hunt in are considered pretty rough. You have to keep your eyes open and stay alert. I had a good hunt Then I encountered a legend. Captain Kangaroo.

The ring is not sterling??
Looks like a Derringer. I would seriously have to do some electrolysis on that. That could be quite interesting to see.
Yeah, I often wondered how safe it is where you detect. I know some guys carry concealed when they go out. Being that the detectors you are using cost some bucks they would pawn pretty easily.
Nice finds!!!! :thumbsup:

{{Never got around to posting my recent finds-maybe next week.}}
 
Last edited:
I also hunt the seedier sides with a partner, his name is Mr.45



I imagine using it as a visual aid would be all that is necessary.
Heck, I know the Lesche is. Always get some looks when I wipe the dirt clean off the metal.
 
Last edited:
I imagine using it as a visual aid would be all that is necessary.
Heck, I know the Lesche is. Always get some looks when I wipe the dirt clean off the metal.

Concealed only
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom