What's new

Day #9 "Only the Lonely"

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
1,704
Reaction score
55
Golden Thread
0
Day #9 "Only the Lonely"

Took a route today that has a ton of banks and usually produces for me. It also has a branch of my bank at the end where I can dump off the clad. Anyway, the first twelve banks....that's right, twelve banks produced lots of loose and some customer wrapped rolls, but all were "skunks" or "dumps". Not a silver coin to be found. At bank number thirteen, I managed a nice, little 1969 from a few loose ones in the teller's tray. Stopped at some more banks on the way to my "dump" site and got nada, zilch...nuthin! I wound up driving a total of 39 miles, stopping at nineteen banks and having to end up dumping $290 worth of clad just to be able to get "Only the Lonely". The streak is alive!!
Thank goodness tomorrow is Saturday. I need a day off.
rileyboy
 

Attachments

  • onlythelonely.webp
    onlythelonely.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 360
Upvote 0
Re: Day #9 "Only the Lonely"

That was a close call there, almost ended your run.

My wife is on her way to TN 2day hitting a few Banks as she goes, so far she has found 3 %40's in a 7 Roll find.
 
Re: Day #9 "Only the Lonely"

#9 on too day 10 Good luck!!!!!
 
Re: Day #9 "Only the Lonely"

RIcoinhunter said:
#9 on too day 10 Good luck!!!!!

One day I drove along the entire coast of Connecticut hitting bank after bank. I stopped at more banks than I ever had and ended up with 13 clad halves :laughing7:
HH
Rich
 
Re: Day #9 "Only the Lonely"

Obediah,
Hope she has a safe journey and gets a lot more than I did today!
rileyboy
 
Re: Day #9 "Only the Lonely"

So, how much time and gas money have you spent so far on this string of road trips? Also, what were your total finds and do you think it's been worth the effort?
 
Re: Day #9 "Only the Lonely"

Rileyboy you are still on a roll lets see if you can do it next week good luck . Happy hunting Ron
 
Re: Day #9 "Only the Lonely"

Skelly9131,
Good questions. Well, This nine day streak has not been the best, but the two rolls of silver I got on wednesday put it over the hill. Yes, I have probably driven a total of 240 miles and my silver totals are : 90%ers (4) and 40%ers (74). However, there have been times over the past few years when I have driven the same routes and gotten "motherlodes" of silver rolls. Some of the hits have been 10 rolls of 40%ers and 7 rolls of all Walking Liberty halves. I have one great hit of 23 rolls of all walkers and bens. Not a Kennedy in the lot. So, is it worth it? Yes, I think so. I live in an area near a major east coast city and there are just hundreds of banks with lots of activity. I've stopped at a bank on one day and got nothing and stopped again on the next day and gotten six complete rolls of silver. I recall going to a bank on today's exact route and getting nothing and the next day a teller from the same bank calls me to say she just got in $140 of halves. I went right back and $90 of them were all silver including 5 rolls of 1964 90% silver Kennedy's. This was all before I knew this forum existed. So the bottom line of your question is....Yes, It is always worth it, because you never know what you are going to get. That's what makes this hobby a thrilliing experience. It's the thrill of the hunt. I am lucky that I live in an area that has lots of action. Yeah, sometimes the gas money gets to you, but then you hit a few complete rolls of silver and you forget the costs. Hope that answers your questions. Oh Yeah!....It's also the fun of talking to all the others on this forum and sharing in their super scores.
rileyboy
 
Re: Day #9 "Only the Lonely"

Rileyboy,
If I had the time, I would be doing the same thing you are doing! And, I would get a Mascot to hang his head out the window to sniff out what bank had the silver :laughing9:. May trip No. 10 produce a storm of silver for you and Riley.

apush :read2:
 
Re: Day #9 "Only the Lonely"

At recent silver value per http://www.coinflation.com/, the gentleman would have made approx $185 in silver. If I had done that, I would have subracted $40 for gas @ $2.75 gal, driving a ford f-150 getting 17 mpg (highway), for $145 left.
My time would be worth $7.25 an hour, @ 20 hrs. Beats unemployment. (Or does it?)

ffd
 
Re: Day #9 "Only the Lonely"

Fistfullofdirt,
You are certainly right that it takes a lot of time and gas money.
But I'm retired and have all the time in the world. I think sometimes
I should do something else, but then up jumps a pile of silver and
I get enthused again. Didn't do any CRHing Saturday or today. May
go out tomorrow. Will keep you all posted
rileyboy
 
Re: Day #9 "Only the Lonely"

rileyboy said:
Fistfullofdirt,
You are certainly right that it takes a lot of time and gas money.
But I'm retired and have all the time in the world. I think sometimes
I should do something else, but then up jumps a pile of silver and
I get enthused again. Didn't do any CRHing Saturday or today. May
go out tomorrow. Will keep you all posted
rileyboy
Rileyboy, I think you are doing exactly what I would be doing if I were retired!

ffd
 
Re: Day #9 "Only the Lonely"

Well if your going to find a number that's the one my friend. ::)

Golden Silver
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom