What's new

Day after Christmas hunt with Don, Mirage, Nate and Scott...first Seated coin!!

Danimal

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
165
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Got out early today with the boys and hit several spots that Don and his friend Scott set up for us. First was some old tear-downs and outside of three wheaties (1940,44 and 46) and tons of nails and other scrap we pretty much struck out. It was weird working this spot while heavy equipment was tearing the area up right in front of us!
We then went to a picnic grove/campsite that saw activity from the early 1800s through the turn of the century. After digging several musketballs, a deer slug and other assorted ammunition I finally hot a nice coin tone and dug up a 1854 Seated Dime in fine condition!!
It's my first Seated coin and now I have less than a week left in the year to get my other two goals, a large cent and either a Barber or Seated quarter! (one can have dreams). Right after Bob Nate and Don left I also dug a 1901 V Nickle...my oldest V.
Other cool stuff I got was a buckle that is dated July 2nd 1907, what appears to be a lead button and a cool minature axe that feels like it's made of lead as well.
All in all a great hunt!
Thanks Don and Scott!!.....LOTS of old homes down that way.

HH all!!


Bob and I holding our Seated dimes in the field!...Exciting!
12-26hunt 001.webp
Don and Bob looking at old pics and maps.
12-26hunt 002.webp
My total finds for the day (sans ferrous trash)
12-26hunt 003.webp
Closeup of old buckle showing date
12-26hunt 004.webp
Closeup of 1854 Seated Dime and 1901 V Nickle Obverse
12-26hunt 005.webp
Reverse
12-26hunt 006.webp
Axe
12-26hunt 007.webp
 
Upvote 0
im on my first year hunting as well,got the barber quarter but still looking for a seated and large cent as well.Im sure they are around we just need to keep swinging...ill be out tomorrow and sat weather should be good in cleveland for you guys as well...good luck and hh jon
 
great finds!! Congrats!!

Danimal,
I treid to PM you with a question but your inbox is full...time to clean. Anyway here is my question and maybe others that have the 9X12 coil for Ace 250 can answer also

I just got my 9x12 coil for the Ace 250 but haven't used it yet. I read that pinpointing is more difficult with this bigger coil. Is that true? I think you have one if I remember correctly. I know you run in pinpoint mode all the time but was wondering where you find that the targets actually lie under this bigger coil. The stock coil on shallow targets where the pinpoint siognal drops immediately would have the target underneath the front center of the inner coil and deeper targets would be more under the exact center of the coil (near the notch cutout). Is this the same with this coil on shallow and deeper targets?

Thanks for you help, just don't want to be digging big holes again if I can help it.

Thanks

Funkman
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom