What's new

First dollar coin of the year, wet jewelry from the swimming area and a few interesting artifacts

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2018
Messages
2,058
Reaction score
12,114
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mountain Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I went back to the newer scout camp. I don’t find much precious metal there, but I normally find a decent amount of change and some fun scout stuff so it is worth the trip. When I get lucky I do find some oldies and goodies like the diamond earring I found last week.

I spent 6.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 128 coins with a face value of $8.22, 5 camp tent pegs, a loader bucket tooth ( the camp ranger said it looks like one he lost from his excavator a few years ago), a dollar coin, a knife, a keychain clasp, 2 small brass padlocks, a hat pin back, part of a flashlight, three 22. caliber slugs, a batch of sinkers, some foil, a little copper wire, 17 tabs and 1 pencil end.

IMG_1607.webp
DSCN9052.webp


The dollar coin is a ZACHARY TAYLOR coin. My first dollar coin of this detecting year, beginning May 1. The knife is a small dead KERSHAW lock back.

DSCN9053.webp


When this came out I thought it was a camo ring. Instead it is part of a MINIMAGLIGHT. Nothing great, just interesting.

DSCN9054.webp


DAY 2
The weather got a little warmer so I went back to the park to do swimming area number 2. This one is a lot bigger than the last one. I was hoping to find more this time, but it is always a gamble. Sometimes you loose and sometimes you win, you may even win big. You don’t know until you try and your winner may be your last target on your way out after hours of swingin.

I spent 6 hours swingin the ATPro and finished the area. I found 8 coins with a face value of $0.72, some jewelry, a pellet gun pellet, 2 sinkers, 2 tabs, a fishing swivel, a stainless screw, a zipper piece, a small piece of copper wire, some foil and a pencil end.

DSCN9055.webp


The only piece of silver was an earring back. The area was actually much cleaner than expected darn it.

DSCN9056.webp


I did find another one of the new Liberty dimes. I haven’t found any in my change yet, but this is the third one I have found detecting.

DSCN9057.webp


DAY 3
I went back to finish my latest new permission. It is a house built on an 1880 school house foundation and I thought it had some promise, but the results have been disapointing. I have made some interesting finds, not the old stuff I was hoping for.

This trip is spent 4 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 6 coins with a face value of $0.39, a decorative pot metal handle, a really dead pocket knife, part of a wire connector, the ever present zipper piece, a plated brass screw collar, a bell, a great seal disk, a mine chit, a wheatie, zinc canning jar lids, a piece of chain, aluminum bottle caps, aluminum tie wire, a light bulb end, some thin scrap copper sheet and 3 tabs.

DSCN9058.webp


The bell is too thick and heavy to be a bicycle bell. I believe it is from an old wall mounted wooden telephone. Let me know what you think.

DSCN9058.webp


The great seal disk is complete and still has the screw back on it. From what I can see on line I believe this one is from World War 2. The mine chit is from one of the local coal mines. This was a coal mining town so they are a common yard find.

DSCN9059.webp
DSCN9061.webp
DSCN9062.webp


The wheatie is in decent shape. It is the oldest coin I have found on this permission. The next oldest was a 1964 silver Rosie. The house may have been detected before. It is also possible that the yard was totally redone in the 1950s when the house was built on the old school foundation. The hunts had some fun finds, but not at all what I was expecting. You never know until you try.

DSCN9060.webp


I showed the owners all of the finds, including the junky stuff, after cleaning them up which is my standard practice. They kept a few of the items, but didn’t want much. They said they would talk to some friends about allowing me to detect their yards so more permissions may be in my future.

DAY 4
I went back to the small park where I found a silver ring last week. Again not expecting a lot, but always very hopeful.

I spent 3.5 hours swinging the CZ21 and found 39 coins with a face value of $1.68, a flat case, an ornate buckle, part of a toilet seat hinge, a chromed embellishment, a flattened spoon bowl, bottle caps, can slaw, copper wire and 21 tabs.

DSCN9063.webp


The most interesting find of this hunt is the case. When the first piece came out of the gravely soil I thought it was part of a cigarette case. But then the second piece appeared down in the hole. They definitely go together, but the resulting case is very flat. Whatever it was designed for was thin. It is chromed brass with a simple line design. I did hit the corner pretty good trying to get the first piece out of the gravely mess I was digging in.

DSCN9064.webp


NON DETECTOR FINDS
I only found 2 dimes and a penny in the coinstar and nothing else out walking. I did spot a small red back salamander in the mulch under some leaves at the park tot lot.

IMG_1605.webp


Nothing fantastic this week, but as always fun in the great outdoor, good exercise for the old man and a little money to help pay for the gas. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
 
Upvote 4
Prolific finds as usual! I’m so disappointed by the US Mint. I still haven’t seen a single new coin in my change. And where you live they’re already in the dirt. I’m definitely in fly-over country.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom