Dayton Diggers Group hunt, privy dig

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Dayton Diggers' Group hunt, privy dig

The Dayton Diggers were invited to a group privy dig behind a ~1850 Hotel located along side the now defunct Little Miami Railroad. I received the lead and Phil pursued it. We were granted permission for two historic properties. Our goal was to donate finds to the new museum in this small peaceful town. After Peggy showed us some old photos of the place back when, two pits were probed up and readied for action. Phil and his crew of Manny, Brandon, Tony and himself dug the first pit. It turned out to be a large brickliner taking two days to complete. I got a nice cobalt medicine in the pick that came from their hole. Phil scored a nice Shaker medicine from Union Village, Manny got the cobalt medicine he dug(another Wayne's Diuretic) and Brandon got a nice quilted flask. Our pit was a wood liner that was wide but narrow front to back. Chuck got a Hollencamp and Wedle blob top beer in his first pick that I had dug. The museum ended up with 36 intact bottles and other relics as well.

Attachments

• IM000996.JPG
    IM000996.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 341
  • IM000997.JPG
    IM000997.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 339
  • IM000990.JPG
    IM000990.JPG
    418.9 KB · Views: 366
  • IM000992.JPG
    IM000992.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 366
Re: Dayton Diggers' Group hunt, privy dig

Hey! Thanks for the pics and the story..Really Nice!

Nice work you guys. Donating to the museum is highly commendable. Let's see pics of the display if you can.

Wow, you guys dug a ton of stuff. Looks like some nice finds. :icon_thumright:

The brickliner one took a while huh? How deep was that one. I sure cant wait till next season to try my hand at digging a privy. Looks like a great time. jgas

Nice finds,and good of you to donate all that hard work.
HH,
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back