What's new

Daytondiggers visit..our 3 day hunt. Barber Halves(1893S & 1902)!! and more!

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2006
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
22
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mountains
Daytondiggers visit..our 3 day hunt. Barber Halves(1893S & 1902)!! and more!

First off I would like to give a big thank you to Daytondigger for coming all the way down here to hunt with me. He is originally from this area and he was cool enough to give me a partner. And thankfully we were both rewarded. Great finds for him. And my BEST find eva.

Would like to start out with only bad news and it applies to this story. The day before he came my BH 505 started acting nutty and has been throughout this hunt. Luckily I still had some finds. But its whacky readings and ghosting nearly cost me my best find.

Day 1: Dayton takes the long drive down here to visit me. Since it's later in the afternoon I have in mind a heavily hunted college. Best of all the night before I was finally able to find (fix a computer for) something that he has really been looking for in relation to his grandfather's job. GOD I loved being able to come up with that especially since he made the trip here.

Short hunt produces some silver for Dayton and some wheaties. For me some modern clad.

Day 2: And off trekkin to Virginia we go in search of an old park. Lots of spots we see along the way to stop at later. We find the park and start detecting. Lots of clad, but no older coin found. So off we go. We make a few stops which produces some more clad and wheatie for Dayton.

Now the spot where I found the IH's was something that we were discussing a bit of that day. Dayton decides to skip the other spots we saw and go to it. Great decision. We arrive and starting hunting this 1/3 of a block demo site. After about 1 hour and some more wheat for Dayton I find myself digging trash and look up and see him with a big surprise grin on his face coming my way.

WOW 1893-S Barber Half Dollar Awesome!!!

For me 1944, 1956 wheaties and a pill container. The pill container is old and cool. Its being cleaned and is so dark no way I can capture its detail atm. Will post later after I figure out how to clean it up.

Day 3: Up the long winding coal mines mountains to Tennessee we go in search of some coal script. We check out a few sites that Dayton remembered when he lived here. Wish I had a camera with us. Some wonderful architecture sites that I had no idea existed there. Area's been filled some so nothing but modern clad. Then in comes the drizzle of rain, with a larger storm on its tails that we were trying to beat out. So off to the Demo site we go where the Barber came from. Thought we would get no where since we had to follow 2 large coal trucks 10mph for a long way, but finally we arrive.

Off in a field I go while Dayton continues to survey the demo side of the field. After a bit in the drizzle I get frustrated with BH's signals and come over near where he is. I was getting ready to put up detector and watch him for a bit. I drop the coil into position and scan near my feet while I am talking to him. Get a constant penny signal. Think umm might be IH, wheatie.

Thank GOD I stuck digger in ground deep and far from target because out poped this perhaps XF lovely:

1902 Barber Half Dollar (Pic below) WOW 2nd one in 2 days in same place. Easily my best find and great condition.

Then unfortunately the harder rain socked us in and we had to leave. Especially after my BH decided the rain was no good and decided to give me solid signal.

Dayton will still be here for a few days. Rain is full prediction though. I really hope we can get back there and get some more finds. IF nothing else I am certainly happy that he got some great finds for coming.

I will say to all of you that Daytondigger is a class act all the way. A member that TNers can be proud of. Great guy with excellent MDing manners.

Here is pic of us I am the red headed fellow followed by my best ever find.

Thanks all for reading. Really awesome members here.

Postalrevnant
 

Attachments

  • Dayton and Postalrevnant.webp
    Dayton and Postalrevnant.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 807
  • 1902Barber.webp
    1902Barber.webp
    12.9 KB · Views: 786
Upvote 0
Re: Daytondiggers visit..our 3 day hunt. Barber Halves(1893S & 1902)!! and more

Mirage said:
Great write up and SMOKIN find! ;D ;D I have yet to find a Barber Half. Amazing you both found one.

Daytondigger has to be a class act - he's from ohio. ;)

Mirage

Yes he is a pretty darn good representative of Ohio.

Postalrevnant

We actually got in the hard rain, wind storm last night and went through a mega soupie mess. IF things dry out a litte perhaps we can hunt this one more time before he has to leave. I think I will leave the rest of our hunt, if weather permits to his post. Plus can't wait to see his sweet finds posted here. LoL he really put a whippin on me.
 
Re: Daytondiggers visit..our 3 day hunt. Barber Halves(1893S & 1902)!! and more!

Wow, that is a great coin. I have never dug a Barber, or a half...........

But I do think you're standing next to your best find. Friends and hunting partners are a greater find than silver or gold.....but congrats to both of you an the terrific coins.

Just my humble opinion.

Roger
 
Re: Daytondiggers visit..our 3 day hunt. Barber Halves(1893S & 1902)!! and more!

Postal

Great Barber! I'm really new to MD'ing and still waiting on my first silver. I've been hunting spots in the boonies, my own property, and some out of the way sort of modern parks until I hone my pinpointing and digging skills. Then I'll hit the really old homes in my town. Don't want to make someone mad the MD'ers by tearin' up their yard!
 
Re: Daytondiggers visit..our 3 day hunt. Barber Halves(1893S & 1902)!! and more!

ramjet2187 said:
Wow, that is a great coin. I have never dug a Barber, or a half...........

But I do think you're standing next to your best find. Friends and hunting partners are a greater find than silver or gold.....but congrats to both of you an the terrific coins.

Just my humble opinion.

Roger

Totally agree. Good friends are always the win.

mountainplayer said:
Postal

Great Barber! I'm really new to MD'ing and still waiting on my first silver. I've been hunting spots in the boonies, my own property, and some out of the way sort of modern parks until I hone my pinpointing and digging skills. Then I'll hit the really old homes in my town. Don't want to make someone mad the MD'ers by tearin' up their yard!

It's been very very slow for me on silver. Just got lucky enough to have 2 great old demo sites with over 12"+ dirt removed, and large area ones in towns with history at the sites. However, I have to admit all that dirt was hauled off and after asking and asking I cannot find out and get an answer as to where. Perhaps that first ever silver quarter is hiding in there. But for sure there has got to be some silver dimes.

Funny thing is me getting 2 silver dimes a few months ago, firsts for me. Then blam right site, right time, right partner and 2 great silver coins. This one and the Barber dime on my post today.

TY,

Postalrevnant
 
Re: Daytondiggers visit..our 3 day hunt. Barber Halves(1893S & 1902)!! and more!

Nice Barber and in that good of shape. WOW. Super job .
 
Re: Daytondiggers visit..our 3 day hunt. Barber Halves(1893S & 1902)!! and more!

Holy Crap!

Those finds are WAY too nice.

My hat is off. OK not really, but congrats anyway.
 
Re: Daytondiggers visit..our 3 day hunt. Barber Halves(1893S & 1902)!! and more!

Very nice! Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Sounds like your family was like mine...came over early on in America's history, and I'm English, Irish, German and Welsh. (although I usually just claim to be "redneck"...LOL).
 
Re: Daytondiggers visit..our 3 day hunt. Barber Halves(1893S & 1902)!! and more!

Nice Barber, sounds like a great time.
 
Re: Daytondiggers visit..our 3 day hunt. Barber Halves(1893S & 1902)!! and more!

I've been reading the TN forum about six years and just registered two weeks ago. That was a great story of comaradare and teamwork, good job guys.

Robert
 
Re: Daytondiggers visit..our 3 day hunt. Barber Halves(1893S & 1902)!! and more!

thanks for sharing the story and congrats on terrific finds
hh
dave+bobbie
 
Re: Daytondiggers visit..our 3 day hunt. Barber Halves(1893S & 1902)!! and more!

WoW! :o So happy that you two could get out and hunt together. It's always great to have a buddy to hunt with. Sounds like you two had an awesome time and made some awesome finds!


Beautiful!!!!!

Nana :)
 
Re: Daytondiggers visit..our 3 day hunt. Barber Halves(1893S & 1902)!! and more!

Great finds and Great Story, I was wondering if Dayton would like to
go hunting with a Bluffton, Ohio guy. HaHa, I've never
hunted down Dayton way!

Keep those good stories coming and love the pictures

HH, Ringfinder
 
Re: Daytondiggers visit..our 3 day hunt. Barber Halves(1893S & 1902)!! and more!

Congrats on the awesome finds PR!!!
Loved seeing your photos too, thanks!!
Keep em coming buddy!

Smiles!
BDoo
 
Re: Daytondiggers visit..our 3 day hunt. Barber Halves(1893S & 1902)!! and more!

Thank you Postalrevnant for hosting me this week and the wonderful story and praise. I had a great time at some great places and was very pleased with the results for both of us. You certainly qualify for the "class act" award yourself. I can't say I've ever hunted with anyone else in the dark and rain before, I've heard of gold fever, we must have been bitten by the lesser known "silver fever". By the way the picture did add 20 pounds.............didn't it? I'll post tomorrow with pics. See Ya
 
Re: Daytondiggers visit..our 3 day hunt. Barber Halves(1893S & 1902)!! and more!

That is one awesome coin! Glad you two got to hunt together............ :)
 
Re: Daytondiggers visit..our 3 day hunt. Barber Halves(1893S & 1902)!! and more!

Two Barber halves in one day!! :o :o :o Amazing!! You guys rock! :)
 
Re: Daytondiggers visit..our 3 day hunt. Barber Halves(1893S & 1902)!! and more!

Great Silver Guys! or should I say, Great Guys and good Silver!! HH!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom