What's new

DD and butterfly coils, do they pinpoint well?

stevemc

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
2,121
Reaction score
281
Golden Thread
0
Location
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thinking of getting a bigger coil, and want to know if a DD or butterfly coil pinpoints as well as a regular round coil. I have been using PIs, and mainly wetsand (saltwater) and shallow water wading to deeper diving, using a regular round coil, and can pinpoint easily and scoop my target with no problem. Will I have problems pinpointing? This will be for a Minelab Excal. Mainly wetsand and shallow wading in saltwater. Thanks in advance, Steve.
 
I have a 5" and a 10" DD. Both are round and I have no trouble pinpointing with either. Same as a reg. circular one.
The butterfly shaped has a specific pinpoint area also. Couple times use and you'll find it.

Al
 
DD coils do not pinpoint as well as concentric " standard round" coils.
The concentric has the "sweet spot" in the center while the DD actually has two "sweet spots" which complicates things. The DD has a slightly wider scan area for the same size, but it actually will not go as deep as the same size concentric.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom