Deadly Ants!

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Hi guys. Managed a couple of hours today. We are getting big rains! Could not go anywhere we wanted to, went where we could. Still was nice to get out. Roads were covered in water in places, not deep but had to slow down to a crawl. We got pushed by an utter idiot going through it but we could not pull over to let said idiot past, so put up with it 😠
We got to a spot though.
I am allergic to Golden Wattle, a fair bit there, feels like I have a bad flu, love when it dies off....
IMG_20220819_142837_844~2.jpg

Found some stuff, ahhh, nothing great but was fun...
IMG_20220819_155458_353~2.jpg

But oh no, nearly dug up where I got a signal the worst insects in Australia! Bulldog Ants. There are a few types. Brown, red Black. The Black are avoid avoid avoid!
These guys are big, and all, have stingers in the end of the abdomen like wasps or bees. But these make them look like pussy's. These ones today were the worse you can come across. Several mm in length and super aggressive! They if you get near them, hunt you out! True. Will actually chase you down if you are within several feet of the nest. Just 1, will ruin your day, finish your day and leave you in agonising pain. They in numbers can kill you and have been recorded doing so. Highly toxic.
The numbers in this picture if you fell and got stung could kill you.
I was very careful to take these pictures, and they swarmed me like mad. I can assure you I was on high alert. My misses was saying from afar "you idiot".
But here they are, the most deadly Ants in the World. One and a half times the length of your thumb nail. Once was stung by just 2, took me 2 weeks to recover, my leg, calf swelled up twice its size, was utterly black and blue and I struggled to walk in that time.
Evil things indeed!
IMG_20220819_142505_910~2.jpg

IMG_20220819_142511_896~2.jpg

IMG_20220819_142532_046~3.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220819_142510_272~2.jpg
    IMG_20220819_142510_272~2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20220819_142532_046~2.jpg
    IMG_20220819_142532_046~2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sometimes have these thoughts of how neat it would be to move to Australia to mine opal or gold....then I keep remembering things like this exist there. No thank you lol.

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
You have more critters that will mess a person up so fast, and those are fine examples of stay away from.
Your Mrs has some wise words of wisdom Chilli. :notworthy:
Hi Pepper. Mate, I look at your land and watch movies like Revenat, and see Grizzly's do their stuff, I hear of attacks there, and other stuff! Seriously, id prefer to take my chances here!
One thing though. Yrs ago as a teenager me and a best friend did an across the state trip, train for 200km then rode our pushbikes another 100.
We stopped half way in the 100. Was night, slept on the side of the road.
Damn! We woke up just on sunrise, my sleep bag had about 20 of those evil things on it but they were, thankfully, comatose as it was frost! I never have jumped up and danced like that ever in my life! I had at night put my swag on a nest! They are seriously bad, So lucky it was a frost night!
Our stuff that will ruin your day is small but deadly. Insects, snakes.
Damn the snakes. One of my best friends in Qld was killed in minutes by a Taipan. Loved that guy. Bit, within 5 to 10 minutes the guys he worked with called out, he was a power check linesman, Andrew was dead. Sad, sad. We loved him, was in Yeppooon Qld when we lived there. Deadly things.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Hi Pepper. Mate, I look at your land and watch movies like Revenat, and see Grizzly's do their stuff, I hear of attacks there, and other stuff! Seriously, id prefer to take my chances here!
One thing though. Yrs ago as a teenager me and a best friend did an across the state trip, train for 200km then rode our pushbikes another 100.
We stopped half way in the 100. Was night, slept on the side of the road.
Damn! We woke up just on sunrise, my sleep bag had about 20 of those evil things on it but they were, thankfully, comatose as it was frost! I never have jumped up and danced like that ever in my life! I had at night put my swag on a nest! They are seriously bad, So lucky it was a frost night!

You have more critters that will mess a person up so fast, and those are fine examples of stay away from.
Your Mrs has some wise words of wisdom Chilli. :notworthy:
Dont tell her that, I'll never live it down 😆

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
I sometimes have these thoughts of how neat it would be to move to Australia to mine opal or gold....then I keep remembering things like this exist there. No thank you lol.
No joke. Today was no rain and where we are I cut down the long grass around our fence. The exact same ones had a nest near the shed I park my car in. We have only been here in this bush town around 2 and a half months. I was using the whipper snipper, your weed eaters I think, and saw them pour out towards me. I immediately got a litre of petrol and poured it down the hole. Kills em and wipes them our. First time though I have ever seen them living with a nest other than in the eucalyptus bush here.
Wiped em out. Evil, evil things.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We really didn't experience too many scary critters.
Huntsman spider in the car (still rents space in the head)
Redback spider in the outhouse looking up at me arse.
Pissmire ants burning my body in the tent
Did anyone every mention the flies-what's with all the flies?
Then at night they turn into moths
There was the monster lizard that went for a walk a bout through the campsite.
(was more interested in eating the disposable diapers at the next caravan)
Rented a canoe once-oh ya what's those eyes hiding along the shoreline looking back at me?

4F4B56F8-2DD0-4C6B-8935-D61D9E499D64.jpeg

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
We really didn't experience too many scary critters.
Huntsman spider in the car (still rents space in the head)
Redback spider in the outhouse looking up at me arse.
Pissmire ants burning my body in the tent
Did anyone every mention the flies-what's with all the flies?
Then at night they turn into moths
There was the monster lizard that went for a walk a bout through the campsite.
(was more interested in eating the disposable diapers at the next caravan)
Rented a canoe once-oh ya what's those eyes hiding along the shoreline looking back at me?

View attachment 2042334
Hi mate. Yep the huntsmen are big but ok.
Its our White Tails that are a worry. Iv been hit, bit a few times. No fun at all.
The reason is they are a Dirty Spider, they crawl everywhere and hunt in filthy places. Picking up the worst germs imaginable. Its not the venom that's the issue, its the venom with the germs.
I utterly hate them and have been a victim several times. Horrid. Need antibiotics, wash the wound, cant walk properly for two to three weeks. They are evil.
This was my leg and I was in agony for 2 weeks.
IMG_20211103_100032_648~4.jpg

The Bulldog Ants are worse!
Lived in Yeppoon Qld for a couple of years. Loved fishing there, was also croc area. I once thought "yeah man, hooked you" thinking it was a big fish....nope...im in knee deep water then realised, 😮..... croc....saw it go nuts, bust me off and I exited stage right I can tell you. They where I was in Yeppoon usually were, mostly in the estuaries. This was on a beach where I was fishing for Aussie Dart.
I never went that deep in again. Shallow beach but was out about 200 meters. You can't run fast enough in that water.
I saw it, scared the life out of me!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only ant I ever had an issue with was the fire ants in Texas. I worked laying pipe and one time went down a manhole we just put in to seal it up. Went I came out of it I would grab the top rim to do a pull up to get out. I put my right hand right on a fire ant nest and by the time they started stinging me they were halfway up my forearm. Hot stings like a wasp with painful oozing blister were all over my hand. wrist and arm they left me with.

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Only ant I ever had an issue with was the fire ants in Texas. I worked laying pipe and one time went down a manhole we just put in to seal it up. Went I came out of it I would grab the top rim to do a pull up to get out. I put my right hand right on a fire ant nest and by the time they started stinging me they were halfway up my forearm. Hot stings like a wasp with painful oozing blister were all over my hand. wrist and arm they left me with.
Hi. Yeah, have heard of those. Not good. They are here in Oz, came in some way or another, but as yet are in Queensland so I hear. As much as our Bulldog ants are bad, I have heard those fire ants are crazy invasive!
Our Bullys are native and though evil, are not as mad invasive go everywhere like the Fire Ants. We are hoping here and have border checks with plants/soil and anything that could carry them across borders we can stop them. But personally I believe they will eventually get across the state borders. Ants, just needs 1 small colony in a pot plant or soil product and boom!
Yeah, heard they are no fun at all. 😖
I saw a story done on Fire ants a yr ago. One farm was so infested in Queensland they gave up and left.

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. Yeah, have heard of those. Not good. They are here in Oz, came in some way or another, but as yet are in Queensland so I hear. As much as our Bulldog ants are bad, I have heard those fire ants are crazy invasive!
Our Bullys are native and though evil, are not as mad invasive go everywhere like the Fire Ants. We are hoping here and have border checks with plants/soil and anything that could carry them across borders we can stop them. But personally I believe they will eventually get across the state borders. Ants, just needs 1 small colony in a pot plant or soil product and boom!
Yeah, heard they are no fun at all. 😖
I saw a story done on Fire ants a yr ago. One farm was so infested in Queensland they gave up and left.
Nothing like standing in a fire ant bed for a minute, then you realize that they are all up your legs when they start biting you all at once. You learn to watch where you stand down here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions