What's new

Dealing with Onlookers

I'll always give 'em the toy, to try and make points with the mom. Smiley
Hey, if the mom's single and hot, go for it!

I haven't run into anyone pesky enough to follow me. There was the one time at a local beach though. I dropped a quarter in front of my MD(this was when I was getting started)to see what the reading would be and this stupid little snotty kid happened to walk by me and she saw the quarter and immediately snatched it up, right from underneath my coil! She gave it back to me with an attitude after I explained to her that it was obviously my coin. She didn't believe me at first that the coin was mine......even though it was obvious that I knew the coin was there way before she came along. It's ok to make a mistake, but she was nasty about it.

As for the future, I carry a digging knife with me that can be seen by anyone approaching me. But I'm confident that I won't need it. I do mostly cache hunting anyways, out in remote areas that aren't frequented by anyone.
 
I use several responses depending on the situation. Have mostly had good luck with the onlookers. Had a guy tell me jokingly that he got half of what I found. Reached into my trash pouch & handed him some pull tabs, and said "There ya go, there's half!" The look on his face kept me giggling for at least a week.

See!!!!! There is a use for the dreaded pulltabs!!!!!! ;D
 
boogeyman said:
I use several responses depending on the situation. Have mostly had good luck with the onlookers. Had a guy tell me jokingly that he got half of what I found. Reached into my trash pouch & handed him some pull tabs, and said "There ya go, there's half!" The look on his face kept me giggling for at least a week.

See!!!!! There is a use for the dreaded pulltabs!!!!!! ;D

:thumbsup:
 
Onlookers that joke about getting half of what I find, I tell them,"Nothing from nothing leaves nothing. You got to have something to be with me". And I sing it to that seventies tune.

Makes life interesting for those looking for a free lunch. OOoooppppsss, I should quit talking about my brother that way.
 
boogeyman said:
I use several responses depending on the situation. Have mostly had good luck with the onlookers. Had a guy tell me jokingly that he got half of what I found. Reached into my trash pouch & handed him some pull tabs, and said "There ya go, there's half!" The look on his face kept me giggling for at least a week.

See!!!!! There is a use for the dreaded pulltabs!!!!!! ;D

HaHa That's a Good one.

I usually say "Yep ! Absolutely !" :thumbsup:

of course they never stick around. so.. :icon_pirat:

If I happen to have a rotted Memorial on me at the time I Usually
pull it out & Ask Which half of it they want :P
 
If I have headphones on I give them a dumb look and :tongue3:say, " I can't hear you, I'm wearing headphones", and keep on hunting.
The other day I had to tell a kid to get lost. I was trying to lose him but he was following me into the woods at a park damit. >:( I tell lots of kids to get lost ;D
I'm rarely sociable anymore when I'm hunting. I'm not the Metal Detecting Ambassador for crying out loud, LOL. Last hunt I'll bet my hunting buddy and I heard "What are you looking for?" and "Did you find anything" 50 times.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom