What's new

Decorative piece with stars. ***SOLVED***

ModernMiner

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
14,115
Reaction score
4,540
Golden Thread
4
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this decorative piece the other day at a mid-1800's house. Great design on it with stars, but I have no clue what it was. :icon_scratch:
It has the hinge on one end as shown. It is copper and measures 7/8" x 1 3/8".
They sure loved decorative metal back then. ;D :wink:

Any ideas?
Thanks,
MM
 

Attachments

  • MVC-129S.webp
    MVC-129S.webp
    26.9 KB · Views: 336
  • MVC-130S.webp
    MVC-130S.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 333
Re: Decorative piece with stars, but what?

Just a WAG.....money clip maybe?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Decorative piece with stars, but what?

72cheyenne said:
Just a WAG.....money clip maybe?

Maybe too small 72'. :icon_scratch:
-MM-
 

Attachments

  • MVC-131S.webp
    MVC-131S.webp
    39.1 KB · Views: 305
Upvote 0
Re: Decorative piece with stars, but what?

Yep definately too small for a money clip.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Decorative piece with stars, but what?

Latch or clasp to a book or diary?
Scott
 
Upvote 0
Re: Decorative piece with stars, but what?

Daddytopcat said:
Latch or clasp to a book or diary?
Scott

Good guess Scott. :thumbsup: That very well could be. :icon_scratch:
Thanks,
MM
 
Upvote 0
Re: Decorative piece with stars, but what?

here is another one that i found. it looks like the hinge had a piece of iron through it, since it is rusty on that end. It appears smaller than the one you found in the photo, but if it were bent back flat again I bet it'd be almost the same size. Forgive the photos. I just snapped them very quickly for this post.


done dugit



w1.webpw.webp
 
Upvote 0
Re: Decorative piece with stars, but what?

done dug it all up said:
here is another one that i found. it looks like the hinge had a piece of iron through it, since it is rusty on that end. It appears smaller than the one you found in the photo, but if it were bent back flat again I bet it'd be almost the same size. Forgive the photos. I just snapped them very quickly for this post.


done dugit

That looks real close to the one MM found. I think you are on the right track about it being a diary or book clasp.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Decorative piece with stars, but what?

Yes they were hinge like & had an iron pin connecting it to?? I have had several & have not seen them IDed anywhere :icon_scratch: I like the book clasp idea & its crossed my mind as well but its different from the earlier types I have found, so I'm a little unsure.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Decorative piece with stars, but what?

Thanks everyone.

I think Daddytopcat (Scott) pretty much nailed the ID on this mystery item.
Here's some examples I found on the net.
What do you think. :thumbsup:
-MM-
 

Attachments

  • book5.webp
    book5.webp
    16 KB · Views: 202
  • book4.webp
    book4.webp
    24.2 KB · Views: 204
  • book3.webp
    book3.webp
    22.1 KB · Views: 194
  • book2.webp
    book2.webp
    13 KB · Views: 200
  • clasp.webp
    clasp.webp
    20.8 KB · Views: 198
  • Book.webp
    Book.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 205
Upvote 0
Re: Decorative piece with stars, but what?

Bingo!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Great Id, Daddytopcat!
 
Upvote 0
I have my moments. I feel fortunate to be able to contribute.
Scott
 
Upvote 0
Daddytopcat said:
I have my moments. I feel fortunate to be able to contribute.
Scott

Thanks Scott.
You the man!!! :icon_king:
-MM-
 
Upvote 0
Daddytopcat said:
I have my moments. I feel fortunate to be able to contribute.
Scott

Thumbs Up!.webp
 

Attachments

  • Thumbs Up!.webp
    Thumbs Up!.webp
    5.9 KB · Views: 157
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom