What's new

Decorative piece?

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
2,382
Reaction score
100
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
Any idea what this is? Seems like there was a hinge on top.
Ty
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0305.webp
    IMG_0305.webp
    36.7 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_0309.webp
    IMG_0309.webp
    22 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_0307.webp
    IMG_0307.webp
    23 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_0306.webp
    IMG_0306.webp
    37.8 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0310.webp
    IMG_0310.webp
    28.4 KB · Views: 334
Without seeing the back, I am gonna guess part of a book clasp, but if the back has any type of attachment point, then I would say possibly part of a dress or sash buckle.
 
Upvote 0
First image is the front, second image is the back, third image is the front again and the 4th image is the back again. I found this in an area that I had found war of 1812 artifact and also civil war artifacts.
 
Upvote 0
Garabaldi said:
First image is the front, second image is the back, third image is the front again and the 4th image is the back again. I found this in an area that I had found war of 1812 artifact and also civil war artifacts.

Ok cool, I will stick with part of a book clasp then. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Something similar to this.
untitled.webp
 
Upvote 0
Ty you 72 Cheyenne.
 
Upvote 0
Garabaldi said:
Ty you 72 Cheyenne. You solving all my artifacts. :hello2:

You might wait around and see if others have some opinions on this one, but I'm pretty sure its what I said it was.
 
Upvote 0
It seems to be the shape of a book clasp, but there are no mounting holes or evidence of a locking post. There is a tab which appears to have been bent backwards though. If you can find evidence on the back of two small points of solder which might have held the belt loop (woman's cloth) then I'd go along with cheyenne's second guess of half of a sash buckle.
 
Upvote 0
Not very thick.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0350.webp
    IMG_0350.webp
    10.9 KB · Views: 274
Upvote 0
I think the book claps is a good call. Only other suggestion would be suspender clip.
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
It seems to be the shape of a book clasp, but there are no mounting holes or evidence of a locking post. There is a tab which appears to have been bent backwards though. If you can find evidence on the back of two small points of solder which might have held the belt loop (woman's cloth) then I'd go along with cheyenne's second guess of half of a sash buckle.

Agreed, one half of a Victorian Ladies sash buckle. The loop is missing (evidence of solder marks) & so is the hook at the end.
 
Upvote 0
There seems to be a hinge on the end. Would there be a hinge on a Victorian Ladies sash buckle? There on no solder marks, so I guess it isn't a book clasp.
 
Upvote 0
Garabaldi said:
There seems to be a hinge on the end. Would there be a hinge on a Victorian Ladies sash buckle? There on no solder marks, so I guess it isn't a book clasp.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,86218.0.html
See above & scroll down for a similar type 'butterfly' buckle, not always a Sash type.

Book Clasps normally have small rivetted holes to hold it on.

The hinge you are referencing is the hook at the end which clipped onto a loop on the other half of the buckle (which was a mirror image of this one).

There looks to be evidence of where the back bar went which attached it to the belt.
 
Upvote 0
Thank You Crusader. That butterfly image was great. :hello2:
G
 
Upvote 0
I also agree, if there are even possibly traces of solder marks on the back (which I think I can see) then it is most likely part of a buckle. Pretty sure you can green check this one. You sure are finding some nice relics. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
I agree with ID. Green check please :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom