Depth and signal stregenth question

lokkenpa

Aug 8, 2008
Edmond, OK
Detector(s) used
MineLab e-Trac, Garrett Ace250, SunRay X-1, ProPointer
I was out detecting the other day and noticed something that puzzled me. My hunting buddy was using his e-trac and we would keep asking each other to check the signals that each of us were getting. He was using his stock double d and I started out using my 5.3 eclipse on my MXT-300 which I use the most.

I know that at about 6" that the signals come in and sound weaker when they sound off on coin sized objects. Which can be expected on this sized objects. My buddy kept finding stuff over 6" so I decided to put on the (I think) 11" double d to try and get some more depth and better signal strength.

Even at 6" with the bigger coil, I was still getting the weaker sound on coined sized objects that he would would have me come and check. Items deeper then that were coming in very faint or I could not even hear them.

I have only had my detector since Christmas of last year and only really started using it this summer. My question is this; could there be something wrong with it?

Thanks!
Phil

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How high are you setting your gain? In certain areas I could run it at +2 without any chatter. Make sure you GB properly and then set your gain up.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnycat said:
How high are you setting your gain? In certain areas I could run it at +2 without any chatter. Make sure you GB properly and then set your gain up.

Yes the gain is probably the thing holding you back when you use about the same size coil. Also your buddy may have his detector set to auto balance the ground, but I expect the real reason is the extra frequencies of his machine gives him an advantage. :read2:

OP
OP
lokkenpa

lokkenpa

Aug 8, 2008
Edmond, OK
Detector(s) used
MineLab e-Trac, Garrett Ace250, SunRay X-1, ProPointer
johnnycat said:

Normally I run the gain at default or +1. Ground balance - pinpoint a spot that says 12 and no noise, pump the machine 3 times. This is correct, isn't it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread