Detail knapping tool I believe.

jawamac

Apr 19, 2022
Fairly small, found near a central NJ brook. Thumb goes in the hole and smooth shaped notches for the other fingers. My guess is that the main contact area flaked off and it was discarded. Was near some broken pieces of chert, smaller flakes. Also some game/grinding balls that I didn't realize were artifacts. Thoughts, do you agree?
knapper.jpeg

Upvote 3

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
when you find the real deal, you won't have to ask. But in the mean time, always ask yourself "this is a tool for what?" It should fulfill a purpose nicely or if an expedient tool, it should be obviously worked.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jawamac, do yourself a favor and it will help you a great deal in finding true artifacts. Don't get caught up in how a rock fits your hand, it is way to often a mistake many new hunters make, it will mislead you 99.999% of the time, they did not knap, grind or make thumb or finger holes for their tools. How a rock fits your hand is not a sign of an indian artifact, it is the sign of the marvel of the human hand and opposable thumbs.​

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when you find the real deal, you won't have to ask. But in the mean time, always ask yourself "this is a tool for what?" It should fulfill a purpose nicely or if an expedient tool, it should be obviously worked.
I agree, you don't wonder when you find the real deal.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard jawamac!

tn_metal_detector.gif
I could understand why you thought this might have been real - amazing what nature can do to stones. Keep hunting my friend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread