What's new

Details on Decoding Beale Cipher 2

chalkoutline

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2025
Messages
679
Reaction score
279
Golden Thread
0
Like most Beale hunters, I started by trying to reproduce the Cipher 2 message using the Declaration of Independence (DOI) from the pamphlet. I created a decoder using Microsoft Excel but was disappointed the message didn’t readily appear. I found I had to shift the numbering as follows:
At position 157, I shifted -1
At position 246, I shifted +1
At position 484, I shifted +10
At position 509, I shifted -1
At position 642, I shifted +1
At position 806, I shifted +1
The message then appeared as I expected. At this point I wanted to know why these shifts were necessary and whether they were just mistakes or intentional.

The clue came from a statement made by the Valued Friend when he was deciphering the message…”With this idea, a test was made of every BOOK I could procure, by numbering its letters and comparing the numbers with those of the manuscript”. The key word being BOOK. I searched for DOIs published in a book and found an 1820 book: The Constitutions of the United States where the first document was the DOI. Here’s what I found:

At position 157, the DOI in the book added the word “a”: “Institute “a” new government thus the need to shift -1.
At position 509, the DOI in the book spelt “mean time” as two words thus the need to shift -1.

This didn’t explain the shifts required at 246, 484, 642, and 806. I then realized that there was not enough space above the words in the book to write numbers. This meant that Thomas Beale would have had to copy the DOI to a separate sheet of paper leaving enough room between rows to numbers above the words. This is when and where the errors occurred.

Between words 242 to 246 Beale skipped over 1 word when copying that sentence thus the need to shift +1.
Likewise he skipped a word between 621 to 642 and between 667 and 806.

I still needed to explain the +10 shift at 484. I attached the picture of that section of the book. It appears that Beale didn’t skip a word but a line. When he copied the two lines below he jumped from “for” to “be elected”.
“He has refuse, for a long time after such dissolutions,
to cause others to be elected; whereby the Legislative” thus the need to shift +10.

It became clear to me that I had found the DOI used to create Cipher 2 and the shifting needed to read the Cipher 2 Message was due to mistakes by Beale when he copied the text to a separate piece of paper.

Of course I was excited by this new discovery but my hopes were soon dashed. When I used the correctly numbered DOI with the Cipher 1 to decode the location of the treasure, I found at position 188 the 19 character alphabetical string: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, I, J, K, L, M, M, N, O, H, P.

Anyone who has spent time using different documents to decode the ciphers knows a document that produces a readable message with one document will produce pure gibberish with another document. By chance there may be an occasional readable word in the document (i.e., of, the, and) or even a short alphabetical string (i.e., abc, cfde) but it is impossible for a 19 character string from A to P in the correct order to appear naturally. This string was placed there intentionally using numbers from DOI/Cipher 1. This certainly casts doubt that the remaining numbers in Cipher 1 are real. They are mostly made up too!

I asked myself “Why would he intentionally place this string in Cipher 1” when I remembered the disclaimer of the Valued Friend:

“Before giving the papers to the public, I would say a word to those who may take an interest in them, and give them a little advice, acquired by bitter experience. It is, to devote only such time as can be spared from your legitimate business to the task, and if you can spare no time, let the matter alone. Should you disregard my advice, do not hold me responsible that the poverty you have courted is more easily found than accomplishment of your wishes, and I would avoid the sight of another reduced to my condition.”

It seems clear to me the Valued Friend created the Beale ciphers as a hoax and intentionally placed the alphabetic string in Cipher 1 to show the astute researcher that it is just that: a hoax.
 

Attachments

  • DOI Skipped Line.webp
    DOI Skipped Line.webp
    20.3 KB · Views: 123
246.348.116.74.88.12.65.32.14.81.19.76.121.216.85.33.66.15.108.68
The question of relationships sparks a dispute. This is followed by arrival in the city, and the receipt of decisions, rewards, accusations, and advice. A conflict—an international incident—arises, after which the matter is referred to the government. What follows is a state of dependency or an obligation linked to the squad.
Just like that... wondering where the gold is?
 
Like most Beale hunters, I started by trying to reproduce the Cipher 2 message using the Declaration of Independence (DOI) from the pamphlet. I created a decoder using Microsoft Excel but was disappointed the message didn’t readily appear. I found I had to shift the numbering as follows:
At position 157, I shifted -1
At position 246, I shifted +1
At position 484, I shifted +10
At position 509, I shifted -1
At position 642, I shifted +1
At position 806, I shifted +1
The message then appeared as I expected. At this point I wanted to know why these shifts were necessary and whether they were just mistakes or intentional.

The clue came from a statement made by the Valued Friend when he was deciphering the message…”With this idea, a test was made of every BOOK I could procure, by numbering its letters and comparing the numbers with those of the manuscript”. The key word being BOOK. I searched for DOIs published in a book and found an 1820 book: The Constitutions of the United States where the first document was the DOI. Here’s what I found:

At position 157, the DOI in the book added the word “a”: “Institute “a” new government thus the need to shift -1.
At position 509, the DOI in the book spelt “mean time” as two words thus the need to shift -1.

This didn’t explain the shifts required at 246, 484, 642, and 806. I then realized that there was not enough space above the words in the book to write numbers. This meant that Thomas Beale would have had to copy the DOI to a separate sheet of paper leaving enough room between rows to numbers above the words. This is when and where the errors occurred.

Between words 242 to 246 Beale skipped over 1 word when copying that sentence thus the need to shift +1.
Likewise he skipped a word between 621 to 642 and between 667 and 806.

I still needed to explain the +10 shift at 484. I attached the picture of that section of the book. It appears that Beale didn’t skip a word but a line. When he copied the two lines below he jumped from “for” to “be elected”.
“He has refuse, for a long time after such dissolutions,
to cause others to be elected; whereby the Legislative” thus the need to shift +10.

It became clear to me that I had found the DOI used to create Cipher 2 and the shifting needed to read the Cipher 2 Message was due to mistakes by Beale when he copied the text to a separate piece of paper.

Of course I was excited by this new discovery but my hopes were soon dashed. When I used the correctly numbered DOI with the Cipher 1 to decode the location of the treasure, I found at position 188 the 19 character alphabetical string: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, I, J, K, L, M, M, N, O, H, P.

Anyone who has spent time using different documents to decode the ciphers knows a document that produces a readable message with one document will produce pure gibberish with another document. By chance there may be an occasional readable word in the document (i.e., of, the, and) or even a short alphabetical string (i.e., abc, cfde) but it is impossible for a 19 character string from A to P in the correct order to appear naturally. This string was placed there intentionally using numbers from DOI/Cipher 1. This certainly casts doubt that the remaining numbers in Cipher 1 are real. They are mostly made up too!

I asked myself “Why would he intentionally place this string in Cipher 1” when I remembered the disclaimer of the Valued Friend:

“Before giving the papers to the public, I would say a word to those who may take an interest in them, and give them a little advice, acquired by bitter experience. It is, to devote only such time as can be spared from your legitimate business to the task, and if you can spare no time, let the matter alone. Should you disregard my advice, do not hold me responsible that the poverty you have courted is more easily found than accomplishment of your wishes, and I would avoid the sight of another reduced to my condition.”

It seems clear to me the Valued Friend created the Beale ciphers as a hoax and intentionally placed the alphabetic string in Cipher 1 to show the astute researcher that it is just that: a hoax.
Are you Jim Gillogly?
 
So, when you said you discovered the alphabetic sequence in cipher one were you referring to Gillogly’s work or did you discover it independently without ever coming across his discovery in your research? Did you know about this before Gillogly?! BTW, I respectfully disagree with your opinion regarding the sequences. Have you noticed that the string repeats and grows in length and accuracy? Or rather, the string grows in accuracy I should say…because it’s always there, init? Possibly over and over, say 20 times? I assume it is anyway, but you know what they say about assumptions…
 
I stand corrected. When became aware of the alphabetical strings....i heard it on expedition unknown and there was no mention of Gillowby.

Why is the repeating and increasing accuracy important?

BTW, are you panda?
 
Last edited:
Panda,
You posted and then i guess you deleted it but this a part of it. .

63.241.540.122.8.10.63.140.47.48.140.228
Get down to the ground, hide the horses in cover, check the ammunition and take up defense in the dead zone...
My question is you provided 12 numbers into a sentence with 50 characters. How did you make that transition.?
Or was this is a hypothetical scenario explaining the importance of repeating and accuracy?
 
So, when you said you discovered the alphabetic sequence in cipher one were you referring to Gillogly’s work or did you discover it independently without ever coming across his discovery in your research? Did you know about this before Gillogly?! BTW, I respectfully disagree with your opinion regarding the sequences. Have you noticed that the string repeats and grows in length and accuracy? Or rather, the string grows in accuracy I should say…because it’s always there, init? Possibly over and over, say 20 times? I assume it is anyway, but you know what they say about assumptions…
if you mean that one sentence with numbers is short and the other is long... so the meaning changes too.
 
I stand corrected. When became aware of the alphabetical strings....i heard it on expedition unknown and there was no mention of Gillowby.

Why is the repeating and increasing accuracy important?

BTW, are you panda?
The question is not clear, can you give me an example?
 
I received an email notification from tnet which indicated panda posted. When i went to read it, it was gone.

I went back to the email to grab the first part of the post...
63.241.540.122.8.10.63.140.47.48.140.228
Get down to the ground, hide the horses in cover, check the ammunition and take up defense in the dead zone...

In this first example you used 12 numbers 63, 241,...
You translated to a sentence with 50 letters, get down to the ...

How did you get from twelve cipher numbers to a sentence with 50 or so letter?
 
Panda,
You posted and then i guess you deleted it but this a part of it. .

63.241.540.122.8.10.63.140.47.48.140.228
Get down to the ground, hide the horses in cover, check the ammunition and take up defense in the dead zone...
My question is you provided 12 numbers into a sentence with 50 characters. How did you make that transition.?
Or was this is a hypothetical scenario explaining the importance of repeating and accuracy?
Panda,
You posted and then i guess you deleted it but this a part of it. .

63.241.540.122.8.10.63.140.47.48.140.228
Get down to the ground, hide the horses in cover, check the ammunition and take up defense in the dead
Panda,
You posted and then i guess you deleted it but this a part of it. .

63.241.540.122.8.10.63.140.47.48.140.228
Get down to the ground, hide the horses in cover, check the ammunition and take up defense in the dead zone...
My question is you provided 12 numbers into a sentence with 50 characters. How did you make that transition.?
Or was this is a hypothetical scenario explaining the importance of repeating and accuracy?
Deleted the post... so where is the "50"? It involves 11 or 12 digits—one digit, one word... it’s a grim scenario... "It’s not what it seems"—that’s the motto of these letters, as the owner of the letter put it.
zone...
My question is you provided 12 numbers into a sentence with 50 characters. How did you make that transition.?
Or was this is a hypothetical scenario explaining the importance
 
I guess you deleted your post again...
In a substitution cipher you have 1 cipher number per letter. However, in your example you have 1 cipher number producing 4 or 5 letters (i.e., 12 cipher for a 50 letter sentence.
I was curious how you made this transistor from cipher number to multiple letters?

Also, this morning i was notified of a post from captain donger Sullivan asking if i noticed the numbers repeating and with more accuracy. The notification email from tnet/panda gave 3 or 4 examples of the numbers repeating and increasing in accuracy but that must mean panda is captain donger Sullivan. Right?
 
A panda is a panda. :) I can't say exactly how I do it... not all numbers are words... let me give you an example...
71.194.38.1701.89.76.11.83.1629.48.94.63.132.16.111.95.84.341.975 — this is the beginning of a message (an example showing that not
all digits represent words)
1701 — the detachment advanced, faced the threat of starvation, and launched an offensive that marked the start of a protracted campaign.
Then came a public outcry, negotiations, absurd demands, and a peace treaty.
1929 — the global economic crisis threatened the state's security. The command adapted to the situation, maintained its balance, and restored calm.
------------------------
1700 ("The Beginning of Western Roads" / Relocation of the Capital to Williamsburg): In 1699–1700, the capital of Virginia was moved from the burnt-out Jamestown to Williamsburg. This marked the beginning of the development of the famous Northern Road (the King's Highway)—the colonies' main transportation artery. A detachment marching along this road in 1700 spearheaded the push into the interior of the continent. (This is an important point... so that the roots are understood.)
1701 ("Near the Hills" / Skirmish at the Piedmont): In 1701, colonists reached the edge of the Piedmont hills and the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Here, the "smooth" King's Road came to an end. The detachment became bogged down in the hills, faced supply disruptions from the rear (starvation), and was forced to fight its way through ambushes by indigenous tribes (attack).
The Year 1629 (A historical look back at the colony’s origins): It is no coincidence that the staff report takes us back to 1629. This was a harrowing period in early Virginia’s history; in the wake of Native American uprisings and famine, the colony was struggling to legally codify its rights—convening its first assemblies, enacting absurdly restrictive laws, and signing onerous treaties with the Crown. It was precisely those old errors of 1629 that came back to haunt the army in the hills in 1701
 
How exactly did you deal with the 22 alphabetical characters starting at location 480 when you apply the DOI KEY to cpher 1?
These where randomly picked by the cipher creator and don't know how they can be decoded.
 
I cannot say, nor do I have the right to... although I am capable of translating any specific entry.
Just send me that string of numbers and tell me which document they come from—I won’t forward the coordinates themselves, or an investigation would be launched... but I can’t work with just a single digit; I need the full entry.
Bear in mind, this is a dry military report... gold might be mentioned, but it isn't stated explicitly. I assume the details were chosen deliberately; most likely, it was all structured so that only "insiders" would understand the double cipher.
 
In case you are aware, when you apply the KEY created by decoding DOI/Cipher 2 to the Cipher 1, several alphabetical strings appear at locations: 44, 84 , 111 and 188. At 188, the string is 22 characters long.

All four strings were placed there manually/randomly. As such, they cannot be decoded without the original KEY from STL.

These random numbers are also sprinkled individually throughout cipher 1. Which is why there are so many highlighted letters in the attached pdf.

String at location 188:
147, 436, 195, 329, 37, 122, 113, 6, 140, 8, 120, 305, 42, 58, 461, 44, 106, 301, 13, 408.

You can try to decode these strings from cipher 1.
 

Attachments

Yet with all of the solves posted here over the years, no one has produced any treasure.

I totally agree with Franklin that the beale codes are nothing but fiction.
 
In case you are aware, when you apply the KEY created by decoding DOI/Cipher 2 to the Cipher 1, several alphabetical strings appear at locations: 44, 84 , 111 and 188. At 188, the string is 22 characters long.

All four strings were placed there manually/randomly. As such, they cannot be decoded without the original KEY from STL.

These random numbers are also sprinkled individually throughout cipher 1. Which is why there are so many highlighted letters in the attached pdf.

String at location 188:
147, 436, 195, 329, 37, 122, 113, 6, 140, 8, 120, 305, 42, 58, 461, 44, 106, 301, 13, 408.

You can try to decode these strings from cipher 1.
Your table is misaligned, so the meaning is lost...
Here is what you sent:
Reject the father's proposal to avoid cluttering the camp and keep an eye on the dead zone. Continue camouflage operations and descend to the ground around the specified date. Boldly detain xxxx; if there are no objections, position the weapon and immediately take measures at the production site.
-----184-30 ---222-728
The committee has finalized the plan and is ready to select a deployment site. Reject your father's proposal to avoid cluttering the camp, and continue covertly monitoring the dead zone until the specified date. Barring any objections, immediately detain Baker and deploy the artillery piece.
Adopt the charter and immediately begin producing military hardware. The camp commander is personally responsible for resolving any contract disputes and authorizing the issuance of supplies and rations. As a reward for completing the mission, the squad is guaranteed total pacification. Advance beyond the hills, secure your positions, and repel the enemy attack at all costs. Do not draw unnecessary attention to yourselves until the battalion receives the shipment.
You shouldn't skip the numbers—they’re important (just a tip). But why are there letters in your table? How did you manage to decipher it? Were you able to piece together the text from that table?
 
Yet with all of the solves posted here over the years, no one has produced any treasure.

I totally agree with Franklin that the beale codes are nothing but fiction.
In Virginia, there’s only the leftover gold for the heirs—and even then, there’s a good chance it ended up underwater. The rest of what they’re looking for isn’t in Virginia. It’s actually funny.
 
Yet with all of the solves posted here over the years, no one has produced any treasure.

I totally agree with Franklin that the beale codes are nothing but fiction.
Let’s say you have the gold in your hands. Who do you notify about the find first: the authorities of the State of Virginia, the U.S. federal government, the landowner in Bedford County, or a professional appraiser in Richmond?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom