Detector questions??

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
I just purchased a Whites DI 6000 Pro SL from a friend that no longer used it. (Figured it was worth $50.00) It has a 6" Whites deep scan coil. Will be mainly searching in Indiana & Kentucky. I am wondering how deep I can realistically expect this to go? I am also going to be going to Florida in March. Is this detector at least decent for beach hunting?

Thanks for the help Great Forum!!

Upvote 0

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The general rule of thumb is that the coil will detect about as deep as it is wide. A 6" coil can reasonably be expected to detect 6" deep, though larger targets (ie soda cans) can be detected deeper. The advantage of a smaller coil is better sensitivity to smaller targets (ie chains and jewelry).

As for Florida-- the sand there is generally clean calcic ooids and doesn't have any magnetite (black sand) to create interference. If there is anything within the depth range of your detector you won't have any problems finding it. I was in Florida last year expecting to rake up a fortune, and found $.11 (two coins) and 5 pieces of trash in about 6 hours of hunting. That doesn't mean you won't find anything, (I sure hope you do!) but you're likely to do better closer to home as you get to learn your area (and your machine) over time. It is an older machine (built like a tank and a bit heavier than I like to carry) but you should be able to do well with it once you're up to speed. Good luck!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hopefully you'll get as much clad as you can carry from those spring break kids and maybe a piece of gold or two! But your $50 machine is a fairly worthy model. Your location is even better. If you're hunting some of those old off-river trails you might be very happy with a little local hunting, more-so than a trip to Florida. That's a very history-rich area and given a month to hunt I'd probably rather spend it near that In-Ky border than in Florida.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Good machine. I saw a Crown Royal bag FULL of silver coins that a neighbor found using that same detector. The key is finding the right spot to use it. You need to do some research in your area where the folk used to hang out at. Talking to some of your older long time residents works wonders.

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say of the older detectors that I have used that one is among the best. Finding the "right" spot is always tricky. You may learn why this site was started, sharing info and research. The local library is always the first place to start as well as some older people in your area, as Gribnitz said.
Old timers knew what was what and remember stories of where things were that we may never otherwise find out about. I found a spot, once that was used as a carnival lot for many years in the late 1800's to early 1900's by talking to old timers. Good luck & HH! Chris

Dinkydick

Oct 2, 2004
Hi:

Have anyone of you fabricated a large search coil for a JW Fisher Pulse 8 detector?

I already have the standard coil and the 18-inch coil but would like to make a much larger coil to
be installed on a sled. Fisher sells a sled type coil but LOOK at the price.

Thanks
Dinkydick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread