Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
your detector start giving 'false signals' all over the place. This can be caused by several things - high iron content in soil/sand, electrical interference, coal ashes in ground, hot rocks - to name a few.

So you set the sens. to as high as possible for normal operation. But it is better to crank it down and find some things, then to leave at MAX and find nothing - when above mentioned conditions exist.

DWT

Jul 13, 2003
Bob : If you want to get maxium depth out of you tector you will need to run the sensitivity as high as you can or as high as the minerals an the interference will let you , For instance if you have your sensitivity set at one let us say that you will get 1" of depth , now let us say that if you have your sensitivity set at 10 you will get 10" of depth , Now it's up to you , Which one do you want , If you want maxium sensitivity will will need to put up will a little chatter . David

OP
OP
B

Bob B.

Oct 27, 2004
So if I have my detector set at the maximum sensitivity it will only look for things at that depth? it won't look
above that depth?

DWT

Jul 13, 2003
BOB : Sensitivity set at max just means that the tector is more sensitivite to all target's good & bad & will detect all targets that you have it set for no matter the depth , up to the detector depth capability , Which tector do you have , If I may ask , David

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
With my sensitivity cranked, I can find a nickel at, say, 12" deep. At that depth it barely gives a whisper of a signal, but if I'm listening carefully, I'll hear it. (Headphones necessary for this!) At that same sensitivity setting, a nickel only 2" down will sound like a siren.

If I turn down my sensitivity, I can still find a nickel at 2", which might sound like a normal 'beep', but the nickel at 12" down would dissappear and I'd never find it.

OP
OP
B

Bob B.

Oct 27, 2004
David, I didn't know how long MD'ing would hold my interest so I didn't spend alot on this detector, I purchased
a "Voyger Pro" and figured if my interest holds I'll spring more later for a better model although sometimes
more money doesn't mean better, but at this time I'm just trying to get my feet wet. Thanks for the info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread