Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all. I while ago I posted a question on here asking whether I should go with the Deus or the Nox 800. After may recommendations, I decided to go with a full Deus, WS4 headphones, MI-6 PP, with 9.5" HF elliptical coil.

I mostly coin shoot, and have always used my XLT prior to this Deus. With the XLT it was easy. I ran with no disc, and if the VDI number stayed constant, along with the tone being good, while also looking at the bar graph for a single straight line, it was a for sure dig. If the numbers bounced around, or if there was a broken tone, or if there was multiple lines on the graph, it was junk. I never dug trash while following that criteria and also using the VDI numbers (D.C Phase) while pinpointing.

Now with the dues, almost every good tone turns out to be junk. Including flat iron/ iron. Scraps of aluminum, beer caps, pull tabs, old nails, etc. will all have a good VDI, bottom left to upper right on line on the XY graph, and repeatable tone. I dug up so many nails today that showed a 95,96,97, etc.

My question is, how do I prevent this? If a nail is showing as good target, then how am I supposed to feel good about a good target right next to a nail if the sound is going to be the same?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, what's a good way to differentiate trash from treasure? Seems like all the non-fereous targets come across as good without any fail-safe as to if they're actually good or just sound good.

Any programs anybody has, or advice somebody could give, I would greatly appreciate it. I guess I didnt realize that the good majority of people that said for me to get the deus were from the old world and were hunting pastures and fields as opposed to hunting parks and lawns for coins like I do. It's obviously a good machine because so many swear by it. I'm just hoping that it fits the type of detecting that I do, and that I can learn to love it and be happy with my purchase like so many others are.

Thanks in advance for your responses

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your settings must be way off if iron nails are ringing in the high 90s. I would suggest running deus fast in full tones with no disc at 14khz or whatever the lowest khz setting is on those hf coils. Dig all signals that are solid with tight vdi numbers in both directions until you learn what the machine is telling you. Some dislike full tones zero disc but imo you need to be running the machine with no filters to learn what it is telling you. At least run iron audio if using disc and 2/3/4/5 tone. I dig it all(not nails though sometimes fooled by deep or iffy signals) where I hunt but eventually you will have a good idea what your about to dig. I will say, though, I would not have recommended a Deus or HF coil for that matter, to hunt parks or yards. Those kind of guys seem obsessed with only digging certain coin signals. Probably why so many run Etracs or CTXs. If I had only dug coins signals, half of the stuff in my signature would still be in the ground

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've run full tones and 3 tones with tone break. Reactivity 2/3, iron disc 0, and even tried iron disc at 5, iron volume 3, sensitivity at 90, silencer at -1, manual ground balance...I think that about sums it up. I think the issue is flat iron and the machines inability to see it as iron. If it was a big piece of iron, I could totally understand it seeing it as good. But iron aside, this whole bottle caps showing as silvers and what not is driving me absolutely crazy. Grated, I've only taken it out on a few hunts, but if I had a silver for every flat iron nail and bottle cap that showed as silver, the machine would have already paid for itself! Lol

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A Deus is definitely not the best choice if you hunt sites infested with steel crown caps and other flat iron. You need Minelab FBS to reject those. Whats a “flat iron nail”

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The DEUS or the CTX. I have both and the terrain to be hunted is sometimes the deciding factor when choosing which machine to use. When I started using the DEUS, I was still living in NYC. I agree, the French Designers of this machine were looking at the fields of Great Britain and most of Europe. Our Civil War Relic hunters have had success in the farmfields south of the Mason Dixie. The parks of NYC are carpeted with steel bottle caps and it was quite the challenge not to dig and to start to identify the bottle cap for what is was.
Usually a surface bottle cap will come in around 90. It can bounce to 93 and down into the 80's. If it bounces into the 80's, it is a bottle cap. You can also measure the possible value of the target by checking the depth. If you're getting a 90+ VDI at 8 inches,, dig it. When is the last time that anyone has dug up a steel bottle cap
from a depth of 8 inches? By the time a steel bottle cap reaches 4 inches, it has pretty much rusted away.
A little trick that you may want to try is switching frequency while hunting. I usually hunt in 12hz. If I get a sweet sounding deep signal that registered 96,, I don't want to dig 8 inches for an iron bolt, screw, or nail. What I do is quickly switch my frequency from 12hz down to 4hz, and then detect the target again. If the target is iron, it will read 98 or 99. Guaranteed it is a piece of iron. Then,, I switch back to 12hz and ignore the target.
Other ways to determine if the target is iron is to watch your depth gauge. If you're getting a signal that causes any part of the LEFT side of your horseshoe depth gauge to go black, then it is iron. Other VDI signals that indicate iron are,, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, etc.

The Etrac and CTX are capable of identifying multiple targets in the same hole. I have dug quite a few mercury dimes that shared the hole with an iron nail.
Hope this information helps.
Where are you hunting? City parks and schools??

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Deus is definitely not the best choice if you hunt sites infested with steel crown caps and other flat iron. You need Minelab FBS to reject those. Whats a “flat iron nail”

I must call it something different. I refer to flat iron at any iron that's been in the ground for so long, rusted all to hell. To the point that it has practically lost all of its ferrous properties.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Like my Deus. It just take a little time to get your ear into the tones. And there are other programs to load besides the factory ones that run really well. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread