Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
Aussie Okie said:
I was reading that the Pre-set Coin program discriminates out 'nickels' is this correct?
If that being so to get the whole range of coins do you have to use the Coin & Jewelry program?

thanks
Paul
i took my allmost new dfx (about ayear old) out in my sisters yard but i had a dd coil on it and found a buff, and a razer blade container with it. on presets on the dfx , i don't think you are going to get deep. you have to learn to tune it in. i am not cutting the dfx down but there is some learning on this detector :)

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
I have found many nickles using ar the coin program. Nickles play sneaky tricks on the dfx because the are usually in the +18 to +20 V.D.I range which is also a favorite range for teardrop pulltabs. my rule of thumb is unless i get a real nice signal, I will only dig nickles at the beach.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no it doesnt disc out nickels. reject is set at +28 thru +49 thats where pull tabs and a lot of rings fall. I use my own program and if you pump up the AC and Preamp gain and learn the dector its an excellent machine.

S

SouthCarolinaTeacher

You can find the nickels if with the DFX and XLT very easily i have found. If you pay attention to the Signagraph while scanning, it will be one steady bar, not a smear of bars which often represent pull-tabs.

The best thing to do with these detectors is to dig everything once you get a good grasp of using it with all of the settings and noticing any changes on the Signagraph.

Ian

OP
OP
A

Aussie Okie

Oct 2, 2006
Full Time RVer based in TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are the preset programs just that, 'turn on and go' or do you have to ground balance everytime (day) you start the machine.
The ACE 250 I have is just 'turn on and go', just one button 'on' and go & it remembers which program you used last.
Does the DFX do that?

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
Aussie Okie said:
Are the preset programs just that, 'turn on and go' or do you have to ground balance everytime (day) you start the machine.
The ACE 250 I have is just 'turn on and go', just one button 'on' and go & it remembers which program you used last.
Does the DFX do that?
yes you need to do this. thats if you want the best out of this detector. the dfx will go deep but you have to learn it and get used to tuning it in for whats best for you :) i am still try to learn this dfx. at the time i bought it and using it awhile i was starting to get mad and was going to sell it but went to dfx only site and got some good info on tuning in and I'm pretty happy with it right now. have not been out in awhile but spring comes i will be out there as much as i can. i got a xlt but i think it needs to go back to whites for a tune up. just to think i was going to sell my dfx for 700$. glad i did not. Jeff fosters book: digging deeper with the dfx is a good book and tells a lot about the settings on this detector and if you want to get started fast on page 31 tell you some info thats not to hard to get out there and set some things in to go deeper good luck to you :)

OP
OP
A

Aussie Okie

Oct 2, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jon43 said:
Aussie Okie said:
Does the DFX do that?
yes you need to do this. thats if you want the best out of this detector. the dfx will go deep but you have to learn it and get used to tuning it in for whats best for you :) i am still try to learn this dfx. at the time i bought it and using it awhile i was starting to get mad and was going to sell it but went to dfx only site and got some good info on tuning in and I'm pretty happy with it right now. have not been out in awhile but spring comes i will be out there as much as i can. i got a xlt but i think it needs to go back to whites for a tune up. just to think i was going to sell my dfx for 700$. glad i did not. Jeff fosters book: digging deeper with the dfx is a good book and tells a lot about the settings on this detector and if you want to get started fast on page 31 tell you some info thats not to hard to get out there and set some things in to go deeper good luck to you :)

thanks for the info....I guess I will get used to having to go through the extra steps when I turn it on.

thanks

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
the dfx will give you outstanding performance with little to no knowledge of the machine. when i first purchased mine six months ago, I found coins up to six niches deep with factory coin setting. the dfx will remember and load the last program used unless you remove the battery. the air ground balance is imporint to repeat whenever you notice the machine starts to go a bit haywire. It is Importint to note that if you ground balance on any target either trash or good, will result with an unstable machine. I've found to pick a spot that is clear of any signals, balance my dfx and go.

OP
OP
A

Aussie Okie

Oct 2, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
patpall22 said:
the dfx will give you outstanding performance with little to no knowledge of the machine. when i first purchased mine six months ago, I found coins up to six niches deep with factory coin setting. the dfx will remember and load the last program used unless you remove the battery. the air ground balance is imporint to repeat whenever you notice the machine starts to go a bit haywire. It is Importint to note that if you ground balance on any target either trash or good, will result with an unstable machine. I've found to pick a spot that is clear of any signals, balance my dfx and go.

thanks for the info very much appreciated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread