paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not at all what I was in the cornfield for, but we have had a ton of rain the past week so all of the surface rocks have been washed clean and this piece was just sitting flat on the surface. It looks worked to me, but this really isn't my forte so I'm hoping the experts can weigh in!

DSC09583.JPGDSC09581.JPGDSC09584.JPGDSC09585.JPG

If it is an arrowhead, any information on type/age would be much appreciated!

Upvote 15
Absolutely! Nice find.
HH
dts

Could be a spear point too. Either way that is for sure a worked piece. Congrats!

hello.im not no expert but ive found many,i like your find,those dark specks in it means it is really old i think,the material is different too,then what i see i would like to know what some would say about it in the N.A section thanks for sharing.you said a cornfield was were it was found,was it water 9000 years ago

Last edited:
you said a cornfield was were it was found,was it water 9000 years ago

The cornfield is about 1000 feet from a decent sized stream (right now raging because of the snowmelt/rain) and is part of the Hudson River watershed. The cornfield is also a low elevation so it certainly could have been closer to the river as it moved around or even a marsh.

im not sure if its the material.or the fact that those black specks are found on some old points

spear point. "projectilepoints.net" database for ID. guess is leaf, late woodland period, little ice age, 1200 - 1700 BC. common in Hudson Valley. nice one:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

Without a doubt. Great find. No better bonus than to be hunting a field and pick up some arrowheads or points.

Congrats! Nice find. Looks like one to me!
Awesome when you don't even have to dig to find something cool. :occasion14:

Yep. Orient point, I think... likely Onondaga chert. Early/Mid Woodland. Give it a good clean and post a few close-up pics. It's hard to tell material when it is still dirty. It's a nice point! Congratulations!!

YES it looks to be an Adena lance to me.
NICE

spear point. "projectilepoints.net" database for ID. guess is leaf, late woodland period, little ice age, 1200 - 1700 BC. common in Hudson Valley.

I did some poking around projectilepoints.net and also Lithics-Net.com; Both are extremely helpful and have tons of information on the categorization and styles so thank you! I couldn't find the leaf style on either one, but I did find "Lamoka" on the Lithics site. This is a side-by-side with a few of their examples.

Lamoka.jpg

According to their site, this style is know to be in the Hudson River region and made from chert which this point seems to be fashioned out of. Am I on the right track?

I was going to guess Lamoka! I grew up in the Finger Lake region of NY, and have found some like this back then. Named for Lamoka Lake.

Can't help on type but I am confident the material is basalt.

Nice projectile point, probably too old to be a true arrowhead. I think Driftwood nailed the ID with it being an Orient Fishtail type point, have a look at those. Most Lamoka points have unfinished bases, meaning the base of the point wasn't thinned so that it could fit easily between the split end of a wooden handle or spear shaft. Your point appears to have a thinned base. It is assumed that the unfinished base points, being too thick for a split shaft, were instead hafted into an open socket, as you might find in the hollow interior of a bone.

Yes you did

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back