Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Morning folks.

With all the hoopla over the Equinox, I was wondering how many of us pulled the trigger and why?

I have an EQ8 on order and here's why I decided to buy.

1. I'm impressed with some of the good targets at 6 to 8 inches being dug, but I've noticed they're very strong signals, so it seems for sure this will be a fairly deep machine.

2. I'm going to put my trust in Minelab. Pretty strong claims of "Game changer" and "will make single frequency machines obsolete". Technologies change and this may be a turning point in our hobby.

3. For $899, if it truly is a game changer, what a bargain!

So would like to hear from all of you , who bought and why.

Multiple machine owner's out there. What was the factor that made you want to buy.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, didn't bother. I already have two machines and and don't need another.

To specifically address your bullet points I already get targets deeper than 6-8" so that's not an upward move for me. and 2) I don't buy on manufacturer's bragging and 3) $899 plus shipping, handling taxes all that, don't need to spend another grand right now while I'm doing great with my current two machines.

I expect the industry to scramble in the next 1-2 years and multi frequency will either be replaced or common place or outdated by then, so I'll wait for a real change in technology.

I am doing well enough in pounded sites I just don't need any other machine right now.

OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
No, didn't bother. I already have two machines and and don't need another.

To specifically address your bullet points I already get targets deeper than 6-8" so that's not an upward move for me. and 2) I don't buy on manufacturer's bragging and 3) $899 plus shipping, handling taxes all that, don't need to spend another grand right now while I'm doing great with my current two machines.

I expect the industry to scramble in the next 1-2 years and multi frequency will either be replaced or common place or outdated by then, so I'll wait for a real change in technology.

I am doing well enough in pounded sites I just don't need any other machine right now.

I agree with ya on the industry scramble. Over 6 to 8" would be an upgrade from my AT:icon_thumright: Also agree on the shipping and handling stuff, but bigboy's has it $899, done!:laughing7:

Thanks for the response!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only reason I really bought it is that it is using technology that is different than anything else out there and priced in the heart of the workhorse machine range ($500 - $900US). Plus I was looking for a high performing general purpose machine that is waterproof.

Multi IQ gives the solid, deep target ID (similar but perhaps not as deep as FBS a la CTX 3030 and eTrac) but the recovery speed that rivals the Deus - the fastest machine out there, and unlike FBS or other multi frequency techs, also is designed to hit hard on mid conductive targets like gold and brass (important for relic hunting). It IS technically a VLF machine but lumping it in that category is just a technical label.

Why is a different tech important? Well first of all, it has to work and I think plenty of testing and now experience with actual users has proven it works.

Does it have to work better? Not necessarily. It just has to do things differently. That is called technical performance diversity and it is the reason I hit a site with multiple frequencies and modes. Fortunately, my Deus enabled be to do that because it can operate at different frequencies and different audio modes. The Equinox will operate at all those frequencies simultaneously (with the exception of some of the very high frequencies the Deus white HF coils can operate at). This will enable it to see some things the Deus might miss and that is a good thing. I can hit the site with it in a few different modes, each mode being like a different detector because the frequency spectrum is different with each mode. And then, if I have the time and inclination I can hit the site with the Deus at 56 to 74 KHZ.

I am primarily relic hunting and the separation vs. depth is a key attribute because we are typically trying to recover targets from thick iron (the remnants old long since vanished home sites or encampments). It is a constant balancing act depth vs. separation. Deus and Equinox are the only machines that I am aware of where you can have fine control over reactivity/recovery speed to be able to adjust this balance to your needs.

Your post talked about key performance metrics (depth, price). But what you didn't talk about is why depth is important to you. The first question any detectorist should ask themselves when contemplating a new machine is what does it bring to the table consistent with their style of hunting (beach, relic, coin shooter, prospector, meteorite hunter, jewelry recovery) [or does it bring a new type of hunting to the table - e.g., you can now get in the water or go to a wet beach] and type of targets they are focusing on (ferrous, mid-conductors, high conductors) and sites they will typically be using them on (white sand, black sand, sandy clay, high mineralization, dense modern (mid-conductive) trash, dense iron trash). Frankly, depth is the last thing I look at. It is practically a meaningless performance metric without the above context. No established manufacturer is going to put out a machine that doesn't have decent depth capability. What you want to know is what type of conductive targets it will hit hard. Is it mainly just high conductors like the CTX, can you cherry pick from the trash, can you separate in iron, can you have control over filters. Then environmental features: is it amphibious, how deep, is it rugged, facilitate wireless so you can avoid snagging cables, good EMI rejection, good ground balance options with good ground balance performance for any type of site? Ergonomic factors: Weight, balance, straight forward user interface without confusing terms and deep menus that have you pressing buttons all day?

Noxtradamus has met all of the above criteria for me on paper and what I have observed from users I trust. Now if I can just get it off the Fedex truck that has had it held hostage since Friday night I will be happy.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Veferrari, the next upgrade or coil for the Deus may smoke anything out there. We'll see, and I'm not really concerned about it.

Digger460, I think your AT should go 6-8" easy, depending on your soil conditions. One of my digging partners has an AT Pro and in this one colonial field he is getting coppers 10" plus. Same with my Deus. We're getting buckshot at 6"+. Drives us nuts.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am waiting on the coil costs . You do not run out and buy a gun before you know the cost of the ammo .For me .....If I buy the nox it will be for the multi feature . I want to know the weight of the machine with the six inch coil and the performance .The nox with the big stock coil weighs the same as the ATP and I can not swing an ATP for more than two or three hours before my back , neck , elbow shoulder and arm is killing me to stop .

This was the reason for buying the deus and it was well worth it .Can swing all day with no problems .

BRC

Jun 24, 2011
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Sand Shark, At-Max, EquInox 800, Deus 2..
Im not quite sure why those who have a CTX buy the 800..???

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1942 merc, when I test swung an 800 here a few months ago, I wondered but not out loud why a straight stick and why it was nose heavy. Didn't make any sense to me. An "S" curve handle would have made more sense. Oh, well. And it is about a pound heavier than the Deus, I'll take you word on the weight of the AT Pro. The AT I had was too heavy for me and I dumped it after 2 weeks of ownership. I can't swing a tank either.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BRC, I'm with you. Makes no sense to me either. I believe Minelab's intention was to snag some AT users. They may do that. Of course Garrett is no little company so you KNOW they'll do something pretty quick to retain their market share. Let the games begin.

Last edited:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I am waiting on the coil costs . You do not run out and buy a gun before you know the cost of the ammo .For me .....If I buy the nox it will be for the multi feature . I want to know the weight of the machine with the six inch coil and the performance .The nox with the big stock coil weighs the same as the ATP and I can not swing an ATP for more than two or three hours before my back , neck , elbow shoulder and arm is killing me to stop .

This was the reason for buying the deus and it was well worth it .Can swing all day with no problems .

Ha Ha. My nephew got a "great deal" on a used rifle. He was really excited to own what is basically an elephant gun (one never knows when a rogue bull elephant will show up in Connectict). When I tried to find ammo for him, we found out he'd be firing at about $1.75 a round. Anyone want a "good deal" on a used rifle?
HH
dts

OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The only reason I really bought it is that it is using technology that is different than anything else out there and priced in the heart of the workhorse machine range ($500 - $900US). Plus I was looking for a high performing general purpose machine that is waterproof.

Multi IQ gives the solid, deep target ID (similar but perhaps not as deep as FBS a la CTX 3030 and eTrac) but the recovery speed that rivals the Deus - the fastest machine out there, and unlike FBS or other multi frequency techs, also is designed to hit hard on mid conductive targets like gold and brass (important for relic hunting). It IS technically a VLF machine but lumping it in that category is just a technical label.

Why is a different tech important? Well first of all, it has to work and I think plenty of testing and now experience with actual users has proven it works.

Does it have to work better? Not necessarily. It just has to do things differently. That is called technical performance diversity and it is the reason I hit a site with multiple frequencies and modes. Fortunately, my Deus enabled be to do that because it can operate at different frequencies and different audio modes. The Equinox will operate at all those frequencies simultaneously (with the exception of some of the very high frequencies the Deus white HF coils can operate at). This will enable it to see some things the Deus might miss and that is a good thing. I can hit the site with it in a few different modes, each mode being like a different detector because the frequency spectrum is different with each mode. And then, if I have the time and inclination I can hit the site with the Deus at 56 to 74 KHZ.

I am primarily relic hunting and the separation vs. depth is a key attribute because we are typically trying to recover targets from thick iron (the remnants old long since vanished home sites or encampments). It is a constant balancing act depth vs. separation. Deus and Equinox are the only machines that I am aware of where you can have fine control over reactivity/recovery speed to be able to adjust this balance to your needs.

Your post talked about key performance metrics (depth, price). But what you didn't talk about is why depth is important to you. The first question any detectorist should ask themselves when contemplating a new machine is what does it bring to the table consistent with their style of hunting (beach, relic, coin shooter, prospector, meteorite hunter, jewelry recovery) [or does it bring a new type of hunting to the table - e.g., you can now get in the water or go to a wet beach] and type of targets they are focusing on (ferrous, mid-conductors, high conductors) and sites they will typically be using them on (white sand, black sand, sandy clay, high mineralization, dense modern (mid-conductive) trash, dense iron trash). Frankly, depth is the last thing I look at. It is practically a meaningless performance metric without the above context. No established manufacturer is going to put out a machine that doesn't have decent depth capability. What you want to know is what type of conductive targets it will hit hard. Is it mainly just high conductors like the CTX, can you cherry pick from the trash, can you separate in iron, can you have control over filters. Then environmental features: is it amphibious, how deep, is it rugged, facilitate wireless so you can avoid snagging cables, good EMI rejection, good ground balance options with good ground balance performance for any type of site? Ergonomic factors: Weight, balance, straight forward user interface without confusing terms and deep menus that have you pressing buttons all day?

Noxtradamus has met all of the above criteria for me on paper and what I have observed from users I trust. Now if I can just get it off the Fedex truck that has had it held hostage since Friday night I will be happy.

Thanks vf for the reply.

"I am primarily relic hunting and the separation vs. depth is a key attribute because we are typically trying to recover targets from thick iron (the remnants old long since vanished home sites or encampments). It is a constant balancing act depth vs. separation. Deus and Equinox are the only machines that I am aware of where you can have fine control over reactivity/recovery speed to be able to adjust this balance to your needs." I'm also a relic hunter, and my thought was the same on the reactivity/recovery speed.

The depth is important to me because of my area's that I hunt. No matter where I go, it seem's that we had a "FILL" fetish. Not that I'm thinking I will be able to get through 12" of fill to get to the older coins and relics, but hopefully I could get through 6 to 8 in many area's. I guess that's probably what I'm hoping the most for. We shall see!!

OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Veferrari, the next upgrade or coil for the Deus may smoke anything out there. We'll see, and I'm not really concerned about it.

Digger460, I think your AT should go 6-8" easy, depending on your soil conditions. One of my digging partners has an AT Pro and in this one colonial field he is getting coppers 10" plus. Same with my Deus. We're getting buckshot at 6"+. Drives us nuts.

Yep, Smokey. I do get 6-8 pretty easily. Just need so more to get through the dreaded fill in my area:laughing7:

OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

I hear ya on swinging the stock coil on the AT. My guess on the bigger coil for the EQ, I'll be using my harness for sure. Unless there's some new tech in the bigger coil for the EQ, I still think around $250.

OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
BRC, I'm with you. Makes no sense to me either. I believe Minelab's intention was to snag so AT users. They may do that. Of course Garrett is no little company so you KNOW they'll do something pretty quick to retain their market share. Let the games begin.

Absolutely:icon_thumright:

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im not quite sure why those who have a CTX buy the 800..???

I have the CTX and am primarily a beach dry/wet sand and water detectorist. I am purchasing the EQ800 for the weight difference and I like the concept of Multi-IQ for better TID. I also would love to be able to find the ever soo elusive Gold necklace that has evaded my CTX coil for 4 years.

OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the CTX and am primarily a beach dry/wet sand and water detectorist. I am purchasing the EQ800 for the weight difference and I like the concept of Multi-IQ for better TID. I also would love to be able to find the ever soo elusive Gold necklace that has evaded my CTX coil for 4 years.

So far it looks like a good beach and water detector. May the Gold Necklace Gods be with you!

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BRC, I'm with you. Makes no sense to me either. I believe Minelab's intention was to snag so AT users. They may do that. Of course Garrett is no little company so you KNOW they'll do something pretty quick to retain their market share. Let the games begin.

I have a CTX and needed a faster, lighter machine that had adjustable tone break and tone pitch similar to the CTX for hunting in extremely trashy iron infested sight. Plus I wanted it to be a Minelab.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found one in stock and bought it.
Reasons:
Light weight the CTX kills my arm after two hours.
Recovery speed adjustments so I can try and hunt in trashy sites.
Water Proof.
Price.
Multi FREQ.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold chains,I was always sick thinking of the number of gold chains I've walked over.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a grapeshot yesterday. A buddy later came over and tested his machine on the now excavated grape. He commented - I don't dig signals that low. I still think its the operator, not the machine. And for fill. One word. Shovel. And a big one. The CW stuff I got the other day I took out an area the size of my living room (which is small), all the way down to undisturbed soil. It was tough, but well worth it. The machine "saw" a few targets, but I figured with the 1,000,000 pieces of scrap iron there I needed an advantage, hence the shovel. I also put everything back real purty so the landowner would be happy and decorated the area with nice rocks, limbs and leaves! Fill stinks if you can't dig through it. And this only works if you have a REAL GOOD relationship with the landowner or it's your property. Although, once you get the trash out, you should be able to find stuff underneath. My Tesoro Vaquero is a killer machine for deep relics, especially in horrible ground.

And yes, I wouldn't even consider the CTX due to the weight. Anybody looking for a good used machine is going to be in luck the next few months. Of all brands.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions