Didnt find an item but maybe a perfect spot!!!

Crazydave0002

Greenie
Dec 5, 2012
Fall River Ma
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
an excerpt from RI DEM regulations...

Park and Management Area
Rules and Regulations
August 7, 2003

Archaeology

4.1 No one shall excavate, disturb, or conduct field investigations or (sic) any site or underwater historic property, nor shall anyone disturb or remove any specimens from any property under the care, control or custody of the Department of Environmental Management without first obtaining the written approval of the Director and a permit from the State Historical Preservation Commission.

4.2 All archaeological sites, underwater historic property and archaeological specimens as defined in the Antiquities Act of Rhode Island, R.I.G.L., ch. 42-45.1, are the property of the State of Rhode Island.

4.3 Metal detectors and other location devices are restricted to designated areas during specified time periods.

Unless you are detecting in water, "historic" is not a factor--the way 4.1 is written, "historic" pertains to "underwater property" as echoed in 4.2 "All archaeological sites, underwater historic property and archaeological specimens;" however, the statement "nor shall anyone disturb or remove any specimens from any property under the care, control or custody of the Department of Environmental Management without first obtaining the written approval of the Director and a permit from the State Historical Preservation Commission" is a blanket statement saying that you cannot remove any artifacts from any RI DEM land without written permission.

So be careful, just because one DEM employee said it's OK to detect on their land doesn't mean that another who is more familiar with the law will see it the same way. I'd try to get something in writing so that they will not confiscate your detector and/or fine you, etc.

The Antiquities Act of Rhode Island, R.I.G.L., ch. 42-45.1 it would appear, defines what RI claims as their property if found on DEM land. You might want to read up on this as it might be anything over 80 years old.

4.3 indicates that metal detecting is allowed in some designated areas--again it might be a good idea to get in touch with them to find out where these designated areas are and which ones are strictly off limits. I'm sure most states have similar restrictions on similar lands under their control.

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll copy and send it out for clarification. I've been approached by different people at different times and they've said it wasnt an issue, but like you said, it only takes one cowboy who reads it and runs away with it. I was smart enough at one point to get that higher up officer's business card and I keep it in my bag in case there is a question. It's not a bad suggestion to ask for one- knowing it's not exactly a "Get Out of Jail Free" card!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bev, Kudos to you for doing the right thing and setting a good example for the newer detectorists as to how to approach these types of sites. I think it was a very good idea to ask for that business card as well. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :icon_thumright:

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm no saint, Erik, but I like my equipment too much to go where I know it's really questionable!
I did think I was on open land once and the owner came out and tried to act all macho. His field was right inbetween open space but for some odd reason they didnt take his property. After a minute of two of chatting with him I think he realized I wasnt some drooling monster looking to bury a body! Wouldnt give me permission though- not even near the roadside. Too bad because within the first 2 minutes there, I got a large cent. I still wonder what else is out there but uh uh, I'm not going back!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bev, I'm sure you have a definite advantage over many of us here in getting permission :laughing7: -- you just flash those pearly-whites and say in an ever so sweet voice "You don't mind if I use my little itty-bitty detector on your dirty ol' land, now do you Sir?" :angel12:

:santasmile: lol

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL I'll have to try that sometime! Most times I just get shoo'd away!

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man this whole thread should be shredded, shreds locked-up, key thrown away... Some valid, sensible posts in here, but too much: :BangHead:

OP
OP
C

Crazydave0002

Greenie
Dec 5, 2012
Fall River Ma
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well i learned alot just from this thread alone lol thanks everyone esp to Bev for being polite and providing great advice and websites ... YOU ROCK!!!!:headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread