Digging so much trash give me motivation.

Treasurehunter133

Jan 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So 2 weeks ago I decided I was going to count how many pull tabs and bottle tops it took to find a gold ring. Ive been hunting a park with all sports to do. Well I've found 317 pull tabs, 52 bottle tops, 25 nickels, countless foil and junk I throw away. I'll be updating everyone till I find it. What are your stories of finding gold and how many tabs did it take? I'm not going to stop digging them but hearing others stories might get me more excited.

Upvote 20

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were trash collecters with metal dtecters with some goodies here and there. If I could get 5 cents for every pull tab Id have thousands of dollars

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I gave up looking for gold in parks , i still dig nickles so maybe.
SHHHHHHH , don't tell anybody ,,," school yards." Especially middle or jr high schools then Grammar schools. That's where i hunt now.
Those schools generally have one main field for all activities where most High schools have many fields , football field , baseball field , eating area....
Jr high kids are starting to ware jewelry and bling them self's up , starting the girlfriend / boyfriend thing by giving promise rings and necklaces and other jewelry , more apt to engage in horse play.
Grammar schools are "ok" , found my last gold ring at one . Ones that rent the fields after hours to jr soccer clubs are better.
Schools with high populations of Hispanic and Asian kids are the best , them kids like their gold.
There's WAY less trash than in parks

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
I decided to do a similar pulltab digging experiment in Stewart Park in Ithaca, NY in the late 1990s. I had an old Bounty Hunter machine that would go to maybe 3 inches on a pulltab, but I had identified an area of the park behind some bushes that had a lot of the older style pulltabs from the 1950s that were not too deep. The soil had not been disturbed there in a long while. The very first signal I dug was a Keepsake diamond ring (10k gold)! I still have it. I spent the rest of the afternoon breaking my back digging up pulltabs and decided not to do any more of this style of hunting. There is such a thing as beginner's luck!

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I save my pull tabs for my grand daughter. Her class has a friendly competition to see who can turn in the most. I believe they are used to provide children with cancer treatments. Last year I gave her 2 years worth.......around 6,000 pull tabs (yep, she won) and in that time have recovered 6 gold rings.......2 were returned, 1 went to my wife and I still have 3 to do with as I please.

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Treasurehunter133,
Was wondering if you ever detect in the water? I'm 61yo and as such don't do the dirt digging in parks and such my knee don't handle the up and down too well.
That said I've been detecting now for 4years 95% in the water at local lakes. In 4 years I have found only three gold rings and a gold mens medallion, a platinum ring for a couple that lost it while I was there and returned it. Plus a bunch of sterling silver rings as well as tungsten and stainless steel rings not to mention all the strange stuff you find in the water keys phones glasses etc. I have to say that I probably dig hundreds and hundreds of pull tabs as they sound just like gold so I don't give up, plus during the warm months you also have the added bonus of all the eye candy at the beach. I would truly suggest digging in water to you.
SurgTech57

OP
OP
Treasurehunter133

Treasurehunter133

Jan 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update to all. I haven’t found my 2nd gold ring yet but have found numerous old nickels and artifacts making it
Worth it!

OP
OP
Treasurehunter133

Treasurehunter133

Jan 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update. I finally did it. Well sorta... 1627 pull tabs to get a massive 14k gold chain from Italy that rang up in the foil. 64179658-7755-40AF-B750-AF0778A904B5.jpeg 64179658-7755-40AF-B750-AF0778A904B5.jpeg 4FDBE5C4-DB19-470F-97DC-2774A6DBFD4F.jpeg it’s been a long run and there is many more in the future. I wish I would’ve kept all the tabs to get a picture with it but threw them out for spring cleaning. After a full year and a month I kept digging all targets besides iron and found countless stuff to get this beautiful find.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good find pull tabs you can learn to I'd depending on the machine gold the vid will stay solid pull tabs it will fluxuate plus depending on the angle you go at it not 100 percent but close if I dug all the pop tops in this town I wouldnt get more than 10ft a day lol. Great job on the gold

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread