What's new

Dime Error? Help needed.

kestrelia

Hero Member
Joined
May 9, 2007
Messages
587
Reaction score
16
Golden Thread
0
Last night I searched 6,000 dimes. These days I just rim search. I came up with a bunch of Canadians, one being a 1957, a 1960D Rosie, a beat up 1934 Merc (seventh of this week!) and a Cayman Islands 10 cent. As I was throwing the dumps into a box I noticed this strange dime.

It's on the left in my picture. The picture is from my scanner and doesn't capture the dime too well. I'll try and get a better picture of it this weekend with my sister's camera. It's obverse is extremely smooth and shiny (not like pic). You can just faintly see the outline of the design. It's almost as if something was covering Roosevelt's head. Could it be just a extremely light strike or some sort of planchette error? The obverse also has some writing on it. A few letters. Do the planchettes originally have some sort of manufacturing code on them? The reverse is completely normal and the coin weighs the correct 2.3 grams.

What's it worth, if anything? Thanks!

Brian
 

Attachments

  • dime_error.webp
    dime_error.webp
    3.9 KB · Views: 304
  • dime_mix.webp
    dime_mix.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 325
Upvote 0
Try posting this on the coincommunity.com error coins forum - they have some expert variety identifiers there who'll readily comment.
 
Looks to be a capped die error. If so, very nice find!!!!!!
 
yep, capped die seems right

HH
-GC
 
I think struck through a capped die is more accurate. There was a planchet stuck to the obverse "front" die. This is why there is detail on the reverse not the obverse.

VPR
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom