naturegirl
Bronze Member
- #1
Thread Owner
This guess is based on what i as a geologist has seen in the field and applying that knowledge to what I see in the pics. Those look like honeycomb structures. These are created when the rock weathers away and leaves iron in the rock behind, this process leaves pockets in the rock. I see these constantly in Kentucky occurring in the sedimentary rock. If you have further questions please just ask. Thank you.
I'm not a geologist or a fossil expert. I do understand your idea on the honeycomb/iron /weathering process. But, could that take place in such a seemingly uniform pattern as shown in the pics? If so,would you please explain this in more detail. Hey BTB, Welcome to TNET!I'm not a geologist or a fossil expert. I do understand your idea on the honeycomb/iron /weathering process. But, could that take place in such a seemingly uniform pattern as shown in the pics? If so,would you please explain this in more detail.
Thanks, buckshot





