Disappointed at Garrett

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites Electronics gave or sold the rights to Whites Electronics I think in 2020. It would have been nice if Garrett could have kept and or improved some of Whites top end machines. I was hopeing to buy the TDI Beach Hunter since I have had good results with the Dual Field. $1200 for the TDI is more feasible to the Blue collar workers rather than the $2800.00 for Garrets ATX. It seems that Whites threw all their loyal customers under the bus with their decision. Sad

Upvote 4
Whites Electronics gave or sold the rights to Whites Electronics I think in 2020. It would have been nice if Garrett could have kept and or improved some of Whites top end machines. I was hopeing to buy the TDI Beach Hunter since I have had good results with the Dual Field. $1200 for the TDI is more feasible to the Blue collar workers rather than the $2800.00 for Garrets ATX. It seems that Whites threw all their loyal customers under the bus with their decision. Sad
Nothing lasts forever, I was shocked when I learned Tesoro went out of business, most big names have to addopt or die..

I do agree we need a good cheaper PI, Maybe think about the Sea Hunter? I love my AQ PI but would not recommend it to anyone, to many issues. Some say the new Generation VLF's are as deep? Out of the water, Now In the saltwater and in the black sand is where they would struggle. Be nice if Minelab came out with a killer PI that one could dive with..

I don't think they threw anyone under the bus. Things took a turn for the worse and they had to let go.

June 18, 2020

To our valued White's Dealers-

This is a very difficult message to write, but the time has come for retirement from White's Electronics.

We are suspending manufacturing operations at our Sweet Home facility while we re-evaluate the future of the company. It is never easy to make these decisions, however, we are faced with the reality of intense competition in the industry and ongoing counterfeit instruments coming from China. Lastly, there have been critical material shortages since the Covid 19 shutdown that we now find insurmountable.

All of us here in Sweet Home are grateful for your service. We consider each you part of the White's extended family.

Sincerely,

Ken White

Last edited:
It seems that Garrett is out of touch with realitywhen it comes to PI detectors for the recreational detecting enthusiasts. $2800.00 for the ATX $3900.00 for the Axiom. It's too bad Whites didn't have a conversation with other companies who may have had some interest in incorporating some of Whites design features into more affordable detectors for the vast majority of metal detecting aficionados

In addition to Deus and a Fisher, we also have a Garrett AT Max. We both absolutely despise the thing. I have literally had to stop my son from wrapping it around a tree.

It is buggy, it is inconsistent, heavy and poorly balanced. Within three months of purchase it lost the ability to determine the battery charge and even when we put in brand new batteries it will wait till you get well out into the field and then start to scream because it thinks there is no charge even though the batteries are fine.

I contacted Garrett and as soon as the found out I was in Canada they wanted absolutely nothing to do with me. They said to contact the dealer. Now the dealer can replace a coil or a handle, but he cannot get into the electronics of the head unit and there was not anything he could do. After that Garrett would not even return my calls.

If you live in Canada do not buy a Garrett, there is absolutely no support.

By the way, does anybody want to buy a rarely used Garrett AT Max? I promise it has not been wrapped around a tree ... yet.

I'm still enjoying my Dual Field even waist to chest deep. I've solved the buoyant coil problem by getting a 4 section 5 lb. ankle exercise weight. I used scissors to cut off 1 section. Now I use the 2 velco strips to attach to one side of the coil and 2 zip ties to secure the other side to the coil. It works great. I'm also quite happy that my Nox 800 hasn't flooded anymore.If it should happen again, I'll send it in for a new pod and buy the Equinox 700. I'm a Minelab fan and don't want to have to learn all over again with something different

I had a PI detector one time, I loved digging those 13-14 inch bobby pins, fishing leaders, hooks etc....
My brother asked me what I thought of a Whites Pi machine.
You just echoed my words to him.
It's a good machine but not for parks/schools.

I bought a TDI Beachhunter & TDI Pro recently , two places still service Whites , one in Va ., THE other in Oregon were I would send my TDI 's if something happened , Garrett was given the rights by Whites , has there technology , I am hoping they produce another Pi for Salt water / Beach hunting down the road , I got in touch with Minelab , they forwarded my info to the development team , never got back , I guess if isn't a nugget , or yet another VLF were they are banking bucks , it won't happen . AS I sold my DF , waiting two years for a AQ that turned out to be a bust , I got tired of waiting , and purchased two whites , now I can wait , happy hunting .

I do agree we need a good cheaper PI, Maybe think about the Sea Hunter? I love my AQ PI but would not recommend it to anyone, to many issues. Some say the new Generation VLF's are as deep? Out of the water, Now In the saltwater and in the black sand is where they would struggle. Be nice if Minelab came out with a killer PI that one could dive with..

I don't think they threw anyone under the bus. Things took a turn for the worse and they had to let go.

June 18, 2020

To our valued White's Dealers-

This is a very difficult message to write, but the time has come for retirement from White's Electronics.

We are suspending manufacturing operations at our Sweet Home facility while we re-evaluate the future of the company. It is never easy to make these decisions, however, we are faced with the reality of intense competition in the industry and ongoing counterfeit instruments coming from China. Lastly, there have been critical material shortages since the Covid 19 shutdown that we now find insurmountable.

All of us here in Sweet Home are grateful for your service. We consider each you part of the White's extended family.

Sincerely,

Ken White
Well i keep waiting for J.W. Fisher (the king of Pulse Induction) to FINALLY come out with a new detector.
I always thought they would come out with the "knocked out of the park" metal detector.
A modern lighter version with all the bells and whistles and true to form "built like a tank".
And i think they still could.
They built a great "one off" line and then moved into other types of stuff and forgot about us lowly swinging dirt clods.

Last edited:
Does anyone make a PI detector with Discrimination?
Years ago I think some companies tried, but realized that it's really difficult to make a discrimination PI detector..

If a PI detector had real discrimination, it would turn the detecting world on its head.
It would almost be like the grand old days of detector again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back