What's new

Discarded during production?

TXCreekWalker

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2023
Messages
58
Reaction score
119
Golden Thread
0
Found this a little over a year ago. When I first found it, it was suggested by someone I had shown these pictures to that whatever it was intended to be, it was likely abandoned during production due to the fossiliferous chert likely being to difficult to work with. One edge appears to have some flaking but its hard to tell along the other edge.

Is this a beat up, or perhaps unfinished, now weathered point. It was a creek find, sticking out of a muddy washout in Denton County, TX.

Was this meant to be a point, or scraper, or some other tool?

489310904_1178415063766106_3338833666583019269_n (3).webp
487449592_658448293690002_6961717178198457553_n (2).webp

20250407_102842 (2).webp
20250407_102819 (2).webp

489385364_1003990368360317_5891374875104475612_n (1).webp
 

Attachments

  • 487150056_2552001545004407_9038832741969117894_n (2).webp
    487150056_2552001545004407_9038832741969117894_n (2).webp
    29.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20250407_103146 (2).webp
    20250407_103146 (2).webp
    127 KB · Views: 28
Upvote 0
That’s an interesting piece. It has several attributes that appear to be Folsom related. First pic looks like a Folsom base with fluting nipple still showing at bottom center. Pic two looks like that face has been fluted. The flute rolled off the tip and took off the point. That’s something that happens frequently when making Folsoms. The fourth pic of the backside shows two impact fractures coming down from the tip. Those two scars might have also been an attempt at salvaging it after fluting failure on the other side. On the other hand, I’ve never seen a Folsom made from crappy material like that. Here are a few Folsom points that I made.
IMG_3654.webp
 
Those are beautiful pieces!

I wonder if it was a practice piece of someone learning, or if a hunter needed a point, and that was the only material available at the time, and they made their best attempt at it. Its a fun piece to wonder about. Even with a small chance that it could be failed Folsom, I might take it to the next artifact show an see if an authenticator would look at it.
 
Those are beautiful pieces!

I wonder if it was a practice piece of someone learning, or if a hunter needed a point, and that was the only material available at the time, and they made their best attempt at it. Its a fun piece to wonder about. Even with a small chance that it could be failed Folsom, I might take it to the next artifact show an see if an authenticator would look at it.
Its a possibility. My clovis has a reworked tip that was worked in reverse from tip to base. Also looks a little like how the clovis was worked. Would like to see pics of both edges. One looks like it has never been worked or was split down the side from impact.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom