What's new

Discovered a Shipwreck! Salvaged the Captain's Steering Wheel!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2014
Messages
4,475
Reaction score
12,334
Golden Thread
2
Location
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had the day off from work today so I decided to do some research and explore some new sites. Found a place on google maps that looked promising so I drove down to the shore and began to explore the early morning low tide. It was raining quite steadily by the time I came across the old abandoned wooden pilings of what was once a marina. I had seen these piling on the map from my research and knew that where there are old pilings there are old boats and where there are old boats there are old maritime relics... but what I didn't know was that I was about to find what is perhaps the greatest maritime relic I've found to date.

Sticking out of the mud I spotted some timbers and immediately knew that there was either an old dock, barge, or boat under there. So I began probing for relics within the area of the timbers. That's when I noticed a handle sticking out of the mud. I went to pick it up but it was stuck to something. I took my gardening hoe and began to scrape away the mud. Another handle appeared, then another and another. My heart pounding I reached down and pulled the metal bars that connected the handles together - I knew what this was - what it had to be. The entire relic burst from the mud revealing itself to the air for perhaps the first time in over half a century or more. It was the long lost brass steering wheel of a ship!

I was soaked to the bone as the rain beat down on me but happy as hell. I scraped the mud from the wheel and realized that this relic had bore witness to a horrible catastrophe. The brass was caked in carbon and several of its wooden handles were chard black - one having been completely torn away. The ship this wheel was on had undoubtedly met a fiery end.

I took the wheel home and spent the next several hours cleaning it with a stainless steel pot scrubber. I scrubbed the wooden handles until as much carbon as possible was removed. Took the whole thing in the house and dried it off. Spend the next several hours drying and waxing the brass and wooden handles. Finally I found a place and mounted the entire thing on my wall. No doubt will be returning to the wreck site as soon as possible to recover more relics and maybe even find the name of the vessel to go with this wheel.
[/FONT]

The wheel itself is MASSIVE - a full 30 inches (2 1/2 feet) across. In the center there is writing. It says "Rosebank Ironwork Edinburgh Brown Bros & Co. Ltd"

Cleaning the wheel in the rain in front of my house took several hours, but the results were unbelievable!
This wheel was burned and under the mud of a shipwreck for countless decades and still was able to polish to a shine!:

Wheel 3.webp
Wheel 4.webp
Wheel 5.webp

The wheel was made by the Rosebank Ironworks in Edinburgh, England.
The company was established in 1871 and made all manner of ship equipment.

Wheel 2.webp

All dried (mostly) and waxed then mounted this beauty on my wall!
Will have to make a new wooden handle to replace the one that's missing.

wheel 1.webp
 
Upvote 82
Drool drool and more drool....that would make my year!
 
That's an awesome relic. Looks good.
 
That is freakin sweet I would love to display that. I think that is one of the coolest finds Ive seen on this site would be great to display with some old bottles or something. Thanks for sharing it this is what its all about Great Great find!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Wow, that's a fantastic find. What a conversation piece
 
What a fantastic swell of the chest that must have made. Holy Moly I would have been buried in the mud getting more of it. Thanks for sharing.
 
Looks like a living room wall piece to me!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Very cool. Can't say I've seen a whole helm wheel posted on here before. I've spent my entire existence on boats and ships and to my best knowledge, my guess would be 1940's-1950's, based on styling.

It really cleaned up great. Congrats
 
That's an Awesome find and she cleaned up great!! That will look great hanging in the man cave.
 
Thats one heck of a find!! Now you can have some fun checking the history of it.
 
Now that is different congrats on a nice find
 
Awesome!!!

aj
 
Awesome just the way it is! The missing handle is part of the story of that boat.
 
Perhaps the missing grip is still in the muck.
Maybe a return sift is needed.

Great find... let me know if you want to sell :)
 
That is probably one of the best relics I have ever seen.
 
Very cool find!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom