What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Dish shards

WoodsDigger

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2024
Messages
283
Reaction score
489
Golden Thread
0
I found these today while detecting. Out in the middle of a big forest in same hole as a nail came out of. Surprised to see something so white. Appears to be parts of a saucer with sawtooth rim and a very pale yellow rose. Is this porcelain or China ? Could it be dated somehow? Plus that bottle top in same hole. I walked for 45 min in silence , no signal, found rusty square nail, the glass parts and no signals all the way back out 45 min walking!
 

Attachments

  • 20250928_154332.webp
    20250928_154332.webp
    354.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 20250928_154310.webp
    20250928_154310.webp
    595.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 20250928_154321.webp
    20250928_154321.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
  • 20250928_144112.webp
    20250928_144112.webp
    484.5 KB · Views: 65
I found these today while detecting. Out in the middle of a big forest in same hole as a nail came out of. Surprised to see something so white. Appears to be parts of a saucer with sawtooth rim and a very pale yellow rose. Is this porcelain or China ? Could it be dated somehow? Plus that bottle top in same hole. I walked for 45 min in silence , no signal, found rusty square nail, the glass parts and no signals all the way back out 45 min walking!
Please post clear close-ups of the sherd in the last pic (both sides). Even if unable to date, at least you got 90 minutes exercise!
 
Upvote 0
Just an FYI, porcelain and china are much the same, since all "china" is a fine porcelain, to determine if it's porcelain or "ceramic", use a bright light to see if the piece is translucent, porcelain is translucent and ceramic is not.

Very had to date without a maker's mark, some types can be dated by style and or designs, but not very accurately.
 
Upvote 0
I'm stumped. The one pic shows a scalloped rim and a pattern just inside. I looked at some of the ceramics and porcelain - but unable to narrow it down. Hope another TNetter solves...
 
Upvote 0
Just an FYI, porcelain and china are much the same, since all "china" is a fine porcelain, to determine if it's porcelain or "ceramic", use a bright light to see if the piece is translucent, porcelain is translucent and ceramic is not.

Very had to date without a maker's mark, some types can be dated by style and or designs, but not very accurately.
Thank you. I get it, not much to go by. I couldn't find anything else. Some logger was having tea and giving his bones a rest.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom