Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today was a great day. Just as I was ready to jump into the shower to go see my doctor, his office called and rescheduled my appointment. YAY! I didn't feel like driving into town to see that peckerwood anyway. I saw the sunlight poking through the tree-tops and decided that today was a dive day.

I rallied up all my gear, loaded the truck, and set out for a place I have been meaning to try. A swimming area at a freshwater pond; I just knew there was some loot to be had there. I've been dreaming about it all winter, and spent a good deal of time and money refreshing all of my dive gear. When you have been diving as long as I have, your gear gets outdated, and all of a sudden you are diving outfitted with antiques. Hmm... does this mean that I'm an antique? :laughing7:

So I'm driving down the road on my way to the pond, and reminiscing about my first dive of the year. It was so cold, there was ice still floating at the northern side of the lake. I had on a 5mm wetsuit, and I misjudged the amount of weight that I needed. I needed a lot more to achieve negative buoyancy, and with all that gear on, I flopped around like a walrus with a hemorrhoid. Wasted trip, but hey now I know. This time around, the water temp is higher, and I get to wear a lighter suit, and I added more weight. THIS TIME was a lot better! :hello2:

The water temp today was 64F, and I didn't have to wear a hood or dive gloves, but I did wear a pair of fabric gloves - the kind made of kevlar with the rubber-coated palms - just so I didnt get cut.

I found the ubiquitous clad, sinkers, barrettes, bullet shells, and a button or two. The anchor popped right out of the sand, but my hopes were dashed when the plating lifted right off it as I picked it up. In fact, as I was fanning away the sand and the anchor appeared, I watched as tiny particles of gilt flew off it.

The best thing is the tiny ring. Its silver with some jade (?). I dunno - some green stone. Looked dark and dismal when I rescued it, but when I got it home it cleaned up real nice. Tiny, but it made my day.

I hunted until I was down to 500psi, and walked out for a drink of water and change into some warm clothes. It air temp was only 56F and there was a stiff breeze coming off the lake. I couldn't get dressed fast enough!

Tomorrow I might head to the old tavern, but I am thinking that I'll get back to that spot on Friday. time to kick my detecting season into high gear!

Upvote 10

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bet you the stone in your ring is turquoise. It does come in green, and gets very dark when it sits in the water.

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll bet you the stone in your ring is turquoise. It does come in green, and gets very dark when it sits in the water.

Ah! Maybe you are right. Seems to me like turquoise and silver go together anyway.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you had a nice hunt, :thumbsup: Love the ring, I found one like it last year at a middle school missing it's inlaid stone. I learned to bring a sifter along in future hunts since the wet soil can loosen a setting and when your pulling it out the stone can end up in the dirt. The pin pointer does not help locating the stone :BangHead: I may pull my water detector out in a week or 2, I hate cold... Rather have 90's with 90% humidity8-)

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Loco, sorry bro, but I can't agree with you on the 90 degree and high humidity, but when you're in the water, its good!

Going to get my tanks filled tomorrow and hit it again on Friday. I JUST KNOW there is a gold ring in that ol' swimmin' hole!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Silver, Has to be more there for sure. I would love to be able to dive like you, So many places the good stuff is just out of reach. Maybe you should go drysuit and extent your season...I've found the best hunting is in the winter, sand seems to be pulled around more and no one can get out where the good stuff is...Good Luck, and keep us posted...:thumbsup:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! Congrats! Must be nice to get back into the swim of things!

It's really great when things go your way seems you do better.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring, I love all those old beauties.
I told my brother a couple weeks ago that I wouldn't be surprised if this hunting in my lake didn't bring me back to diving. I have two certifications, but I have not dove for years. I eventually see this bringing me back to shallow diving.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Good hunt!:hello2: I like the little anchor despite it not being valuable. As soon as I saw your silver ring, felt the stone probably is green turquoise, as others suggest also. Looking forward to your next foray into the water! :icon_thumright: Andi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread