Diving for artifacts?

PaleoHunter

Nov 28, 2011
Heartland
Primary Interest:
Other
kinda of a different idea but would love to hear what all you creek walkers think anyway...i have a site where i know artifacts are ending up in the creek and small ditches, obviously washing down off the campsites above. there is beautiful pool i'd say about the size of a normal 3 car garage and 5-6 feet deep with a small 4-5 foot waterfall. the creek has a limestone bottom but does hold some nice sandbars in various places. the question is to dive the pool and or try to get samples from the bottom of the pool. could over the years artifacts flushing through the creek end up in the bottom of the pool? i would assume the flint/chert artifacts may just get flushed through because of their weight but could hard stone end up in the pool bottom? just a thought, but this has been on my mind for sometime. what could a guy do or make to get samples from the bottom of this pool...need a way or simple instructions on building a dredge or screen, maybe from a 5 gallon bucket with weight and rope? the trick is to get the bucket or whatever a guy comes up with to drop to the bottom of pool so as it ends up with the top down so a guy can drag it back and scoop material up. any ideas would be great! thanks in advance!

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Paleohunter How do you sleep at night ? Good chance a very heavy hardstone might remain in the spill anything light would be gully washer flushed out ? The plastic small holed bread racks the bread guy uses to transport product I heard makes a good sifter maybee a point trap too?, I have had good luck sifting sandbars had a nice tripod set up for a few years .Simple 1/4 mesh screen wood framed about 3'x4' with center support ,bucket ,shovel,pliers,and wire roll was all that I carried in to set up,frame support was found in timber by means of fallen long branches this way I could easy move upstream to next spot of which didnot seem to matter by the way.

OP
OP
PaleoHunter

PaleoHunter

Nov 28, 2011
Heartland
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks! like the bread delivery idea...need to work on this when i get healthy and up and moving. maybe i just need to get down and dirty and dive in that hole and see what i can bring up for a sample. 1point says go for it!!...just worry about the leeches up my !@#% later!!
let me see if i can dig up a video of the pool and it will give a better idea of what i'm talking about...

1point

Mar 13, 2011
Central Iowa
1point says go for it!!...just worry about the leeches up my !@#% later!!

Heck yes! 5-6 feet deep gives you a feel for the bottom (hard/soft) if you get in it. Dive down with the screen and see what you get - much quicker and controlled. Leeches are more prevalent in slow moving water with muddy bottoms. Good chance that flint is in bottom if the pool runoff "exit" extends farther out than the waterfall into it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions