What's new

Do Dateless Buffalos have value?

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2009
Messages
2,260
Reaction score
31
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Just curious, do dateless buffalos have value? I saw some mixed in with some silver coins on an auction last weekend. I wonder what they will fetch? Not that I have any because I don't search nickels.
 
Upvote 0
some dealers will pay 8-10 cents for them. they are typically used in jewelry. Or you can get some nic-a-date and bring out the date on them.
 
SFBayArea said:
Just curious, do dateless buffalos have value? I saw some mixed in with some silver coins on an auction last weekend. I wonder what they will fetch? Not that I have any because I don't search nickels.

I see them on Ebay alot..I bought some a few weeks back ..i got 8 of them for 2.59 including shipping...but 2 of them had good dates on them..
 
I pay a nickel each. ;D
 
Dime will get it with my coin dealer unless they are type 1.Surprising what they bring.
 
Since they are not numismatically important , many get made into buttons for the leather
garment trade . Argentium . ( yes nic a date - will help to fill the album .)
 
I nic a date them, especially if they have a mintmark on the back. If you hit a key date or semi key you can sell them for good $ as a hole filler in someone's collection.
 
CHAINCHOMP said:
do coin dealers actually sell dateless buffs???

sometimes. If they have some on hand and can get more for them than they can by wholesaling them out.

A couple of years ago I happened into a shop just as the owner was completing a transaction for a big bunch of coins. Included in the batch were 3 rolls of dateless buffalo nickels. He had paid face for them and sold them to me for 2.25 per roll. I had a blast putting nic-a-date on them and seeing how many holes I could fill in the album. I think now I'm missing only 9 or 10 to have a complete set of acid dates.
 
You can get Nic a date online eBay or a coin dealer. I think Wizard Coins is where I got mine.

Yes, many dealers sell dateless buffs. You can also get them on eBay pretty cheap.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom