diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out for a quick hunt the other day. Found my first spinner advertisement coin. It reads"Old Homestead Dodge City Milling and Elev. Co. Dodge City Kan. Buy Quality Flour" I can't seem to find any like it. The Woodmen of the World Coin Test coin is pretty interesting, I'm not sure what that was about. First Indian of the year(1900) I need to clean it up. Happy Hunting this spring. It just melted here. IMG_20210404_071331477.jpg IMG_20210404_070631758.jpg IMG_20210404_070645593.jpg IMG_20210404_070557754~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210404_070714251.jpg
    IMG_20210404_070714251.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 39
Upvote 15

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds congratulations stay safe out there

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the posts! There must have been a lot of bad flour back then, with all the " Buy Quality Flour" goings on:)

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds.

“Woodmen of the World” was a not-for-profit fraternal benefit society with pseudo-masonic claptrap and rituals. It still exists today as “Woodmen of the World Life Insurance Society”. Joseph Cullen Root founded the “Modern Woodmen of America” in Lyons, Iowa in 1883 after hearing a sermon about “pioneer woodsmen clearing away the forest to provide for their families”. Disagreements within the organisation resulted in Root being ejected from it and he started again in Omaha, Nebraska in 1890 with “Modern Woodmen of the World” as a society that would “clear away problems of financial security for its members”. He dropped the word “Modern” soon afterwards.

The “Coin Test” was a symbolic part of their initiation rites to introduce new members and admit visiting members from other regions of the country. This is from their “Ceremony of Introduction in the Protection Degree, Promulgated by the Ritual Committee of the Sovereign Camp, 1903”:

After taking the obligation at the stump [a tree stump serving as an ‘altar’ for each lodge, in a hierarchy known as ‘‘Forests” and “Camps” of the society], you gave the Consul Commander this coin. I will now return it to you with the coin test, which I will explain.
We received this coin from your hands as a token of consideration. Every legal contract must have a value of exchange to complete and make a valid obligation. You have been admitted within this Forest by certain ceremonies and obligations, and for the consideration of this coin you are now entitled to be instructed in the secret work, which I will communicate to you.
To enter the Forest, at the outside door give one rap or ring the bell, give the Sentry the first word of the semi-annual words, and if visiting a Camp other than your own, give him the name, number and location of your Camp. He may demand other tests, for the Sentry must be satisfied that you are a member in good standing. Being admitted, after placing upon your left breast the badge of the Order, if any have been provided by the Camp, advance to the inner door and give two raps, which will be responded to by two raps by the Watchman, and to him give your name, the name and number of your Camp, if visiting another Camp, and the last word of the semi-annual words. The Watchman will report your name to the Adviser Lieutenant and, if in good standing, he will order you admitted. You will then proceed to the stump and salute the flag; then, about face and give the working sign to the Adviser Lieutenant, who will answer by the same sign, and you may be seated. Wishing to retire or change your position in the Forest, you will make request of the Adviser Lieutenant under the working sign and receive his permission. Wishing to take the floor, you will rise under the working sign and address the Consul Commander before making a motion or speaking to the Camp.

Later, these 'tokens' served as advertising/promotional/pocket pieces without any particular ritual use.

Woodmen.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much Redcoat I appreciate your post very much. I will print this off shortly and bring it to the landowner. I have given him the coin. He will absolutely love this information. The past is so so interesting!!!!! I love that picture!!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much Redcoat I appreciate your post very much. I will print this off shortly and bring it to the landowner. I have given him the coin. He will absolutely love this information. The past is so so interesting!!!!! I love that picture!!

You're most welcome. I know that many folks don't like clicking on hotlinks to other websites, but you can read more here (I never knowingly post links to sites that my internet security protection isn't comfortable with):

Woodmen of the World

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread