What's new

does a "how old is it" fit in this forum? (solved)

chukers

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
1,824
Reaction score
147
Golden Thread
0
Location
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does a "how old is it" fit in this forum? (solved)

Well obviously we know what it is but I am looking for an age... its 4 inches across and was silver plated... had some kind of chain mail pouch. I'm just wanting to know of an age for this kind of purse.

chukers
 

Attachments

  • coin purse.webp
    coin purse.webp
    52.8 KB · Views: 485
  • coin purse.webp
    coin purse.webp
    52.8 KB · Views: 478
Re: does a "how old is it" fit in this forum?

Neat find... did you dig it?

It looks very victorian...
 
Upvote 0
Re: does a "how old is it" fit in this forum?

I am with Jim,I think the Chain mail is totally Victorian,No coins huh??
 
Upvote 0
Re: does a "how old is it" fit in this forum?

My mother had a few left to her from her grandmother. I was told they were made between 1900 and 1920.
 
Upvote 0
Re: does a "how old is it" fit in this forum?

Montana Jim said:
Neat find... did you dig it?

It looks very victorian...

Yeah I dug it... it was bent... I very carefully and slowly bent it back... its in poor condition but still a neat find!

Chukers
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Re: does a "how old is it" fit in this forum?

It's definitely a late Victorian (1880 - 1900) coin purse.
But, you probably already know this by now! :wink:
 
Upvote 0
Re: does a "how old is it" fit in this forum?

Antiquarian said:
It's definitely a late Victorian (1880 - 1900) coin purse.
But, you probably already know this by now! :wink:

Yeah but thanks for the confirmation... I really don't know why something that old is doing in this spot... It was only suppose to be 50 to 60 years old!

Chukers
 
Upvote 0
Re: does a "how old is it" fit in this forum?

chukers said:
Antiquarian said:
It's definitely a late Victorian (1880 - 1900) coin purse.
But, you probably already know this by now! :wink:

Yeah but thanks for the confirmation... I really don't know why something that old is doing in this spot... It was only suppose to be 50 to 60 years old!

Chukers

Chukers,

As to the "age" of the "spot".

I'm not sure what that means, but am assuming you're considering nothing happened there before 50 or 60 years ago - therefore nothing should have lost there.

I'd like you to consider a million other options, to include dirt or land fill being moved after or before construction, old roads and paths that disappeared 100 years ago, kids stealing and discarding a purse, kids playing with and losing a purse, a woman just tossing it aside, etc... The Victorian period is considered 1830s - 1910s and a little later depending on "styles". For example, you can still purchase "Victorian style" purse clasps today, brand new.

So, when considering the possible age of an item OR an area, remember that we don't always know exactly, that "Bob Smith" lost this "item" at this "exact location". Sometimes that can be done. A watch inscribed with the Smith name found at the old smith cellarhole is a good bet, for example. If the watch had no inscription, well, it could have been anybody's watch at almost any time. That "spot" has been there since the beginning".

Maybe that clears up the mystery as why you found it there, or, maybe I'm just talking too much.

Best Regards, Jim.
 
Upvote 0
Re: does a "how old is it" fit in this forum?

Montana Jim said:
chukers said:
Antiquarian said:
It's definitely a late Victorian (1880 - 1900) coin purse.
But, you probably already know this by now! :wink:

Yeah but thanks for the confirmation... I really don't know why something that old is doing in this spot... It was only suppose to be 50 to 60 years old!

Chukers

Chukers,

As to the "age" of the "spot".

I'm not sure what that means, but am assuming you're considering nothing happened there before 50 or 60 years ago - therefore nothing should have lost there.

I'd like you to consider a million other options, to include dirt or land fill being moved after or before construction, old roads and paths that disappeared 100 years ago, kids stealing and discarding a purse, kids playing with and losing a purse, a woman just tossing it aside, etc... The Victorian period is considered 1830s - 1910s and a little later depending on "styles". For example, you can still purchase "Victorian style" purse clasps today, brand new.

So, when considering the possible age of an item OR an area, remember that we don't always know exactly, that "Bob Smith" lost this "item" at this "exact location". Sometimes that can be done. A watch inscribed with the Smith name found at the old smith cellarhole is a good bet, for example. If the watch had no inscription, well, it could have been anybody's watch at almost any time. That "spot" has been there since the beginning".

Maybe that clears up the mystery as why you found it there, or, maybe I'm just talking too much.

Best Regards, Jim.

thank you for your ideas... I'd hate for it to be some random reason... then there would be no reason to continue researching.


Chukers
 
Upvote 0
Re: does a "how old is it" fit in this forum?

It is possible that even though it is from an earlier era it was being used into the more recent time fair that fits your info.
 
Upvote 0
Re: does a "how old is it" fit in this forum?

Ramitt said:
It is possible that even though it is from an earlier era it was being used into the more recent time fair that fits your info.

yeah it sure can... but now for the rest of the story... I did find a beautiful 1893 Indian Head Penny about 20 feet from where I found the purse... http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,369966.0.html

sooo... either it came from that purse or something was going on in that area back in the 1880-1900 time frame.
All I know now is I need to go back and dig EVERY signal!
 
Upvote 0
Re: does a "how old is it" fit in this forum?

I went out there today... 70 degrees... and i did find more... 1925 Wheat and a 1899 Smooth Barber Quarter... I knew it would be a good place to hunt!
 

Attachments

  • 1899 Barber Front.webp
    1899 Barber Front.webp
    66.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 1899 Barber Back.webp
    1899 Barber Back.webp
    65.6 KB · Views: 184
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom