does any one have napoleonic era battle maps?

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
hey fellas :) I have been trying to find out more about the battle field I went to last weekend.. I found a lot of maps from the main battles of the napoleonic era but for some reason, there is barely anything on this battle. It was either called the battle of morlautern or the battle of kaiserslautern. There isn't a lot of info about it. Anyone know a place where I can get a repo map of the battle or any kind of other info(besides the net)? The area is quite large.. and there has to be a map somewhere. Pls pass on any info :) Thanks!!!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Are you talking about the 1793 Battle?
I think Birdman from this forum ,who is in Germany hunted on the morlautern battlefield and had some good finds there. Maybe he would know of map.

OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
yeah thats the one.. bird and i hunted it together last weeked :)
Trying to find more info about it... its so vast.. that i wanted to see a battlemap (ive seen some of main battles, like waterloo) where everything was set up.. to kind of find out how the battle played out. With a map, we could hit the main battle lines hard, or even find the encampment.. to see i there were any relics left :) Unfortunately, my reasearch has not turned up anything big on the battle thus far.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Let me look in some old german history military books I have at home. Will let you know if I find anything

Oudinot's battalion was assigned to General Ambert's division stationed at Kaiserslautern. On 22 May the Prussian Army launched an attack against Ambert's outnumbered division. Oudinot commanded the advanced guard composed of two battalions and eighty cavalry. He was attacked at Morlautern by nineteen battalions and thirteen squadrons of cavalry, totaling 15,000 men. His troops held their position under devastating artillery and cavalry attacks for three hours before receiving orders to fall back. Oudinot's troops, which had served as the advance guard, now found themselves as the division's rearguard. During the retreat the artillery fell behind and was temporarily captured, until Oudinot's troops counter attacked and regained them, However, because all of the horses had been killed, the guns had to be hauled back by hand. As a result of his bravery Oudinot was praised by the Army commander General Moreaux, who wrote, "The 2nd RegimentÖwas particularly distinguished, Citizen Oudinot, commander of the 2nd Regiment gave proof of his intelligence and bravery." [5] The representative en mission to the army, Nicolas Hentz, named Oudinot general of brigade on 12 June 1794.

OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
ah ha.. good info :) the map would help me find out how far the battle went.. and then where they had to start to retreat.. cannon emplacements.. all that good stuff :) Most of the battlefield still is open fields and woods. The musket balls we were finding on sunday were in a wooded area right next to a farmers field. It seemed that a lot of the balls rolled down the hill. The area was to the west of the morlautern. Thank you for the info. I hope to keep finding out more about these battes. Its so cool to touch history :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread