Does anyone recognise this?

T

TWOZ12

I'm posting this again, not sure what I did wrong if anything on my very first post. We found this MD'ing on Ormond Beach in Florida after the 3rd Hurricane. It was extremely encrusted and was cleaned using electrolysis. Appears that the fourth section had been broken. The hole in the front does not appear to go all the way through, because the back seems to have been welded but??? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thank-you! Tammy

Upvote 0

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I find miscellaneous machinery parts frequently. Some of them can be anybody's guess, and it would be a matter of finding a mechanic familiar with the part. This particular one looks like the four pairs of flanges were designed to be centered between four bolts, and the center divot probably held a rotating part. Could be from a lathe, motor, pulley, or who knows? As for why it would be on a beach-- anything can wind up anywhere.

OP
OP
T

TWOZ12

Thanks Labrat! I'll keep working on it!

B

bushwhacker46

It looks to be nautical from a boat or ship. But being that small is odd. It seems that it was designed to be held in place as a cover over a small opening and tightened by four bolts or three bolts and a hinge.

Rick
Retired Navy

OP
OP
T

TWOZ12

Thanks Rick! It's a stumper that's for sure! It just looks really old and had ALOT of crustation on it when found. The points that are sticking out are not all identical in size, close but that makes me think it was not machine made if not exact. Thanks again! Tammy

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a technician/mechanic and i can say i have never ran across anything like it. Looks to be hand fabricated which would explain why it is not perfectly symetrical. Any guess is as good as mine to the appication it was needed for, but judging by the location you found it in it was most likely some type of marine/nautical machinery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread