What's new

Does anyone recognize this hatchet style? UPDATED - More pics! - Utility hatchet

turtlefoot13

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2009
Messages
733
Reaction score
105
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi all,

I am checking this for a co-worker. This is a hatchet head that has been in his family for some time. He is just curious as to what type it may be and how old. The closest that I could find was a lath hatchet but it was not exact. There are absolutely no markings on it anywhere. Any help is appreciated. I will try to get some more pics up later but am short on time tonight.

Thanks,
Doug

It is the smallest hatchet head that I have ever seen. I honestly thought it was a toy and he was playing a joke on me until I actually held it and looked at it.

Here are some more images. Thanks for the help so far.


hatchet001.jpg

hatchet002.jpg

hatchet003.jpg

hatchet004.jpg

hatchet005.jpg
 
Re: Does anyone recognize this hatchet style?

It might actually be a toy. My cousin was a killed in 1937 when he was a kid. There is a little hatchet like that in his toys.
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • hewing axe.webp
    hewing axe.webp
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,708
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Re: Does anyone recognize this hatchet style?

looks like a roofing or shingle hatchet.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Does anyone recognize this hatchet style? UPDATED - More pics!

I have put up a few more pics. Thanks again for all of the answers so far.

Doug
 
Upvote 0
Re: Does anyone recognize this hatchet style? UPDATED - More pics!

OK definitely hand forged, but it has grinder marks on the poll so it may have been altered or had mushrooming cleaned off.

I would say a small utility hatchet, pre-Civil War.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Does anyone recognize this hatchet style? UPDATED - More pics!

Thanks for the info Lucas. I appreciate it.
Doug
 
Upvote 0
Re: Does anyone recognize this hatchet style? UPDATED - More pics!

While they are made for hewing (hewing something like bowls is a little different than hewing logs for your house), it was not uncommon for the younger generations to sharpen both sides (even though, only one side is supposed to be).

I'm not sure anyone would use a little 5" one to do big ole timbers, but, I know my grandfather had several smaller ones - he did fine cabinetry work and the like. They also used the smaller ones to hew the inside curves of ox yokes etc., too.

Its nice - I always have a nice feeling when I see older wood tools - I have several of my grandfather's - especially his spokeshaves, some of his measuring tools and his old planes. I just love them. :D

Beth
 
Upvote 0
Re: Does anyone recognize this hatchet style? UPDATED - More pics!

Lucas said:
OK definitely hand forged, but it has grinder marks on the poll so it may have been altered or had mushrooming cleaned off.

I would say a small utility hatchet, pre-Civil War.
I see you are a student but you seem very knowlegable, Lucas. I dont mean this in a bad way but could you explain, to those of us that dont know, how you determine it to be hand forged? Has it been folded over?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Does anyone recognize this hatchet style? UPDATED - More pics!

OK the pic showing the eye, that has the deep groove at the front. That is the seam where the iron was folded over and welded by heating and hammering. If you look real close you can see a tiny hairline that continues to the side of the blade. That's not a crack, it's the edge of the seam. Usually forged axes have a bit of steel folded inside the two sides of the iron, but this seam doesn't go to the bit, so the steel bit may have been folded over the iron. Ham sandwich vs slice of ham folded over a piece of bread. Hmm must be lunchtime.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Does anyone recognize this hatchet style? UPDATED - More pics!

Lucas said:
OK the pic showing the eye, that has the deep groove at the front. That is the seam where the iron was folded over and welded by heating and hammering. If you look real close you can see a tiny hairline that continues to the side of the blade. That's not a crack, it's the edge of the seam. Usually forged axes have a bit of steel folded inside the two sides of the iron, but this seam doesn't go to the bit, so the steel bit may have been folded over the iron. Ham sandwich vs slice of ham folded over a piece of bread. Hmm must be lunchtime.
I think also you can see the planashing marks made by the hammer, on the axe :icon_thumleft:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Re: Does anyone recognize this hatchet style? UPDATED - More pics!

Thats what I thought, thanks.
 

Attachments

  • ax_002.webp
    ax_002.webp
    35 KB · Views: 353
Upvote 0
Re: Does anyone recognize this hatchet style? UPDATED - More pics!

Eric Sloane. I have most of his books! :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Does anyone recognize this hatchet style? UPDATED - More pics!

Thanks for all of the great information! I really appreciate it!!!!!!!!! I am going to green check this as a utility hatchet, mid 19th century.

Thanks Again,
Doug
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom